C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end gurus please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Front end gurus please help.

Had steeroids and suspension upgrade from VetteBrakes installed in my '76. Everything was great and the car drove, handled and steered perfectly. Redid the interior and dropped or lowered the steering column to remove part of the dash. Now several months later after everything is back together, the front end of the car seems to "hunt" while driving down the road. In other words, going straight down the road, the steering seems to have a "dead band" where turning the wheel a little to the left or right does not have any effect on the direction of the car. And yet, it seems it will move left or right a little on it's own.

Here's the question, could I have damaged the lower steering column bearing when I lowered it and would this be the problem? Any other ideas? Nothing seems to be wrong visually.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are shops in town that will give free estimates.
I take advantage of them often.
Steering is serious stuff. Have an expert check it out.

I wouldn't think you messed anything up.
Have it looked at, do as much of the work as you can then have it aligned by the shop who gave the estimate.

Ralph
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loflite
Had steeroids and suspension upgrade from VetteBrakes installed in my '76. Everything was great and the car drove, handled and steered perfectly. Redid the interior and dropped or lowered the steering column to remove part of the dash. Now several months later after everything is back together, the front end of the car seems to "hunt" while driving down the road. In other words, going straight down the road, the steering seems to have a "dead band" where turning the wheel a little to the left or right does not have any effect on the direction of the car. And yet, it seems it will move left or right a little on it's own.

Here's the question, could I have damaged the lower steering column bearing when I lowered it and would this be the problem? Any other ideas? Nothing seems to be wrong visually.

Thanks for the help.
Sounds like something, somewhere, is loose or in a bind. If you didn't force the column down it should be fine.

Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Too much toe out will cause the car to wander .

Bill
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Legacy Stables
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure to check the two screws that hold the plate that the tie rods attach to. they came loose on me once and it cause a dead zone and some wondering before I found it.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM
loflite
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll check all the nuts and bolts this week end. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Front end gurus please help.

Quick Reply: Front end gurus please help.