C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change A/C evaporator 77 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Quito
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change A/C evaporator 77 Vette

I am interested in learning the procedure on replacing the A/C evaporator on a 1977 Corvette. I have a Chilton and Haynes repair manuals but they do not cover this work in detail.

Please advise where to get the procedure or provide the basic steps necessary to complete this work.

Thanks - Quito
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have an A/C shop evacuate whatever freon is in the system now; it is illegal to vent refrigerant to the atmosphere. Remove the hard line from the accumulator/dryer and the flex line from same. Remove the dryer from the car. The A/C housing is a"clamshell" design bolted together with the screws being on the fender side of the housing where they are nearly impossible to reach unless the engine is out of the car. There is also one stud which will need to come loose on the firewall. Pry the two halves of the clamshell apart, insert new evap core and reverse disassembly... but get a new accumulator/dryer a while you are shopping parts. Be certain your evap comes with a new orifice tube or get one of those as well, and new o-rings for each tube joint. Lube each o-ring with refrigerant oil on install so they seat correctly. Decide whether you'll recharge with R-12 or R-134 and use a suitable oil for that. Bring the car back to the A/C shop for system vacuum, leak check and recharge. Try your best not to look at anything else under the hood to avoid "while I'm at it" disease which could lead to the entire car being scattered all over your garage for the next several years!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Before you begin to buy parts, confirm whether your 77 has a VIR system or the later orifice tube system. The change from VIR to orifice happened in mid-year.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick check... look at your compressor. If it's about a foot long, cylindrical and 6 or so inches in diameter it's a Frigidaire with VIR. If it's about 9 inches long, 12 inches or so in diameter it's a Harrison and uses a dryer. My car has the late Harrison compressor so I used it as an example. Changing the actual evap core should be similar with both systems... if you have the early style search "VIR eliminator kit" to do instead of a new accumulator/dtyer.

Last edited by markids77; 06-01-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: I hate this keyboard!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll just add that you must remove the coolant recovery tank to slip everything out.
It really looks worse than it is.

Get notified of new replies

To how to change A/C evaporator 77 Vette

Quick Reply: how to change A/C evaporator 77 Vette