C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 02:17 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress.

This is the sketch I posted a while back.

My plans have changed a bit from that sketch. Now I'm going to notch the backside of the aluminum bars, grind off the plastic simulation grill on my original turn signals and mount them in their original location on the back side of the new grill. When I came up with this design, I was planning on mounting 94/95 Gran Prix headlights in the grill. Prosouth had a good comment regarding my design picking up on my overall concept and I've changed my mind (for now) no headlights in the grill.

Here is a pic of the new fiberglass nose. I removed the verticals and reglassed in the return lip where they were. MIKER helped me modify the lower brackets getting them ready for a new grill.

And here's the grill fabrication in progress:

There are 7 pieces of T6 aluminum all clamped together. I made a template out of 1/4" MDF and took it to AST Waterjet in Irving, TX. They used a computer program to input dimensions from my template and cut out 7 bars (1/8" x 3/4") each with the same slight curve on the leading edge. I clamped them together so I could sand the leading edge down on them at the same time to get them all to match exactly. After they are all perfectly flat and match perfectly, I'll unclamp them and work on each piece individually. I plan on easing the corners on the leading edge (rounding off the leading edge profile) and then I'll keep using finer grits of sandpaper and eventually a couple of aluminum polishes to make them shine like chrome. :D After all the bars are ready, I'll make a wooden jig to hold them all in place at the proper spacing and angle and take the assembly to another guy to weld mounting brackets to the bars as well as a couple stiffeners and mounting tabs for my turn signals. Then all I'll have to do is drill and tap some threads in the lower brackets Mike helped me modify and mount the grill. I hope to have it all done and mounted next weekend.

And if any of you DFW guys need anything cut from a plate or sheet of metal; brackets, spacers etc. (anything 2D), AST Waterjet is the place. Great service and I couldn't believe the price. I got all 7 pieces cut perfectly for only $147 + tax and that included the material. The shop that's going to weld it all up reffered me to them. He told me they have done some great work for him at very reasonable prices . . . he wasn't joking!!!!
Old 05-25-2002, 02:48 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (74-Roadster)

I think it's gorgeous! I've always wanted to do something like that for my 69. Make one large grill without the verticle bumperettes. It gives the car a more competitive look and the appearance of a wider stance.

Chuck
Old 05-25-2002, 04:01 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (74-Roadster)

74, It will be great when it's done, I did something very similar to that some years ago to my '72, and the thing looks great,
I did not do my own web page in the sig file there, so I can't even modify it...and send it to you....
maybe you can with a photo edit, I don't think the grill detail shows up at all, but it's all horizontal slats 3/4 inch apart about 5 of them....all done out of hardware store aluminum....

GENE
Old 05-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it looks really good,but where will you put the number plate?
Old 05-25-2002, 09:12 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (Fleetwood)

cant wait to see it when its done,shell be looking sweet :cool:
Old 05-25-2002, 10:42 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (Fleetwood)

I like it looks really good,but where will you put the number plate?
Behind the driver's seat! :lol: :lol: I'll keep in in the car with a couple of twisty ties. I've never runa front plate on any of my cars . . . no hassles yet. :smash: :smash:

mrvette, e:mail me a pic and I'll post it for ya. I'd love to see a pic of your grill.

Thanks for the kind words, it'll make the hours of sanding and polishing on the aluminum this weekend more enjoyable. :D
Old 05-25-2002, 07:28 PM
BDAZVET
Instructor

I`v thought of doing something similar, but you`re DOING it! Kudos! :cheers: Can`t wait for the pictures of the finished product. If you allow me to piggyback, I`d do mine in black, anodized or powder coated. Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2002, 07:47 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (BDAZVET)

I like it... i may have to make something similar, not quite like it tho... i was thinking louvered aluminum, where it is a flat pannel, with slits cut in... who knows... i cant draw to see it :jester
Old 05-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, you can draw great! :D ~Juliet
Old 05-25-2002, 11:43 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress. (Juliet)

Thanks Juliet!!! You must have missed one of my past posts. Here's the other sketch I've drawn of the overall plans for the car. Glass the front and rear to the car, make custom rocker panels (not the skirt style), flares on all four corners, C5 mirrors, seats and deck lid bumps with the center waterfall, remove all of the trim and paint her black. And possibly add a full tilt front if another member gets his kit completed. :cool:

I just came up with another idea I'm going to try and implement in the near future. The C5 corvettes have recessed lettering that says CORVETTE on the back and you can get laser cut letters to fit in the recess. I'm trying to acquire a rear bumper off a C5 that's been wrecked but still has all of the lettering intact so I can make a mold from it and then make a new section to splice into a C3 rear fiberglass cover. With a triple black vette . . , I wonder if I could get those letters in a black chrome finish. :cool:
Old 05-25-2002, 11:52 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Thanks Juliet!!! You must have missed one of my past posts. Here's the other sketch I've drawn of the overall plans for the car. Glass the front and rear to the car, make custom rocker panels (not the skirt style), flares on all four corners, C5 mirrors, seats and deck lid bumps with the center waterfall, remove all of the trim and paint her black. And possibly add a full tilt front if another member gets his kit completed. :cool:

I just came up with another idea I'm going to try and implement in the near future. The C5 corvettes have recessed lettering that says CORVETTE on the back and you can get laser cut letters to fit in the recess. I'm trying to acquire a rear bumper off a C5 that's been wrecked but still has all of the lettering intact so I can make a mold from it and then make a new section to splice into a C3 rear fiberglass cover. With a triple black vette . . , I wonder if I could get those letters in a black chrome finish. :cool:
Those are some awsome plans!!!! I hope you will be able to turn all of those plans into reality!!! I'm sure you will. Your work on your front is awsome!! Keep up the good work!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Olivier
Old 05-26-2002, 12:29 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

That's going to be :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress.

Quick Reply: Here are some pics of my custom grill fabrication in progress.