C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 05:29 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette

The other night I changed the leaf spring mounting bolts and bushings. Everything appeared to be fine. The next day I went to back the car out and I heard a pop. I looked at the rear of the car and the spring appeared to have straightened out. I jacked up the car and the spring poped again. It appears this is the original spring. Is the spring worn out and needs to be replaced or do I need to make some adjustment? I'm afraid to drive the car over the weekend. I don't want to do any additional damage. If the spring has to be replaced is this a one man job or do I need to get help. Any thoughts on a replacement spring. I like the original look and I don't put a lot of miles on the car. Thanks in advance

Mike :smash:
Old 05-25-2002, 09:45 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette (My69)

What the heck, dosent anyone have a suggestion
Old 05-25-2002, 10:32 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,710 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Hi Mike,
Did you check to see if you cracked the rear end housing? Once the spring is in place it shouldn't move around other then flex. If you just replaced the 4 bolts what procedure did you follow? The original rear covers are thinner then the aftermarket ones like Muskegon makes.Also it's possible one of the leafs broke.
Gary
Old 05-25-2002, 10:51 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette (gtr1999)

Do as Gary says. Pull your spare tire carrier and take a look at the 4 center mounting bolts to verify that the differential cover is not cracked. Only other thing I can think of is that the bushings you changed (at either end of the spring I assume) hadn't settled into the cups they sit in and did so with a bang. BTW, the 7 leaf spring sits flat even when new. 9 leaf has more arc. If you decide to change the spring it can be done alone but is easier with help. If you decide to do so post and you will get lots of advice.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:10 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette (R. Bruno)

I went out and looked. Nothing is craccked that I can see. The spring is a 7 leaf spring and appears fine. The height of the car above the wheels looks normal. I drove the car and it feels fine. Maybe its my imagination. Thanks for all your help.

Mike
Old 05-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

The 7 leaf HD spring will be flat with the weight of the car on it. The 9 leafer is fairly flat too. Chuck
Old 05-26-2002, 07:35 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe one of the cushion cups wasn't in the hole in the trailing arm and "jumped" in. I am assuming you changed the two long bolts and four rubber cushions?

Get notified of new replies

To Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Help 69 Vette