C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Control Valve

Got a strange one...

I replaced my steering control valve, which was working but leaky and the boot was shot. Now my steering seems loose and the car seems to want to wander - It also seems to want to push straight in corners sometimes, randomly, but just for a second. This is very scary in the middle of a turn at 70MPH.

The push cylinder is new as well, although I did use it with the old switch for a summer (maybe 1,000 miles), so it's known-good.

I went through the whole adjustment thing (screw left until cylinder moves, screw right until cylinder moves, then center) and the bleeding procedure (Back and forth on the wheel with engine off, then on) as per the instructions.

I just don't know if I have a bad part or if I missed something. Right now I'm afraid to drive the car so I need to make a change sooner rather than later.

Anybody have any idea how I should proceed?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Schaggy
Got a strange one...

I replaced my steering control valve, which was working but leaky and the boot was shot. Now my steering seems loose and the car seems to want to wander - It also seems to want to push straight in corners sometimes, randomly, but just for a second. This is very scary in the middle of a turn at 70MPH.

The push cylinder is new as well, although I did use it with the old switch for a summer (maybe 1,000 miles), so it's known-good.

I went through the whole adjustment thing (screw left until cylinder moves, screw right until cylinder moves, then center) and the bleeding procedure (Back and forth on the wheel with engine off, then on) as per the instructions.

I just don't know if I have a bad part or if I missed something. Right now I'm afraid to drive the car so I need to make a change sooner rather than later.

Anybody have any idea how I should proceed?

Thanks!

Crawl under and watch the connection at the adapter... where the ball stud is attached... have somebody slowly rotate the steering wheel a few degree's one way and then back the other... look to see if there is slop at that connection.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
BHRIG
Racer

was the replacement valve NEW or rebuilt?

if rebuilt, it might be defective.........it wouldn't be the first time!!!

Good Luck
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

You could have other worn parts like an idler arm that is bad, or tie rod ends that are bad. You need someone that knows about steering to look it over. Contact a corvette club to see if someone might help you. Could also be bad rubber bushings or alignmant off.

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 06-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote defective valve
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No good way to know over the internet. You will have to assess the steering yourself or take it to a reputable alignment shop for their review and analysis of what is going on with it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Schaggy
Instructor

Not sure if this helps at all but every bushing and replaceable part in the front suspension was replaced two years (maybe 2000 miles) ago and a full-on alignment was done shortly before storage last year (about 300 miles ago, but before the valve replacement).

I'd like replace the valve and see if the problem goes away, but I don't want to treat my parts dealer like that.

So off to the alignment shop then? Is that the consensus?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

no, if it worked fine till you replaced the parts, its the parts that are defective, not the alignment. your parts dealer will welcome exchangeing parts , instead of exchanging money in a lawsuit when you crunch

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Control Valve

Quick Reply: Steering Control Valve