C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Vette Lights Come On but Engine Does Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
nlandry25
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Vette Lights Come On but Engine Does Start

I have inherited a 1978 Corvette and have been restoring it with my uncle and just moved it from his house to mine. If it ran for awhile and you turned it on and went back to start the vette it wouldnt crank. All the cockpit lights and eletrical will work and if you left it alone for hours or so it would crank back up. Now my vette doesnt start and the cockpit and eletricals only come on help please.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the starter solenoid. You could also check the neutral starter switch but the fact that heat plays a roll seems to suggest starter solenoid.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

pulling the headlight switch on will not start the car, you have to turn the switch to start it. LOL is the car in park(if automatic) or in neutral? Could be safety switch or loose cable connection or ground.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by nlandry25
I have inherited a 1978 Corvette and have been restoring it with my uncle and just moved it from his house to mine. If it ran for awhile and you turned it on and went back to start the vette it wouldnt crank. All the cockpit lights and eletrical will work and if you left it alone for hours or so it would crank back up. Now my vette doesnt start and the cockpit and eletricals only come on help please.
Its called heat soak and its common on these cars. The starter and related wiring gets hot because of its proximity to the exhaust and the tight engine compartment. The best solution is to swap in a gear reduction type starter from a later model chevy. They work even when there isn't enough current to spin a conventional starter, and they are smaller which allows for more air flow to cool them. I think mine came from a 96 Chevy truck.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct, 96 chevy truck. I am in the process of doing that now. It will bolt right up......

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Vette Lights Come On but Engine Does Start

Quick Reply: 1978 Vette Lights Come On but Engine Does Start