C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with fuel gauge please!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Tony Rags
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with fuel gauge please!

I have a 1978 and I replaced all my gauges in the center console with new AC/Delco units. The old FUEL gauge had a resistor on the back....however the new one did NOT provide a resistor in the box with instructions as did the other gauges. Question, is it ok to not use a resistor since the gauge didn't come with one? Is that their way of telling me that the new fuel gauges do not require a resistor as do the other gauges? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

use the old resistor-but check it for continuity first. it should be about 90 ohms. the gauge just reads the voltage drop across the resistor. also replace all the small insulation washers.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Tony Rags
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very strange: Without the resistor in place, it reads just below 1/2 tank which is what I know I have in there. With the resistor it climbs up a 1/2 tank to just under full! Also, with the key on, engine off, my oil pressure is pegged past 80! When I jiggle the printed circuit and wires behind the cluster, the oil pressure moves down! I'm suspecting something is not grounded correctly, maybe? Maybe a break in the printed circuit (even though it's new also)? Or maybe the harness connector is not making good contact with the printed circuit?
Any thoughts? This is gonna drive me nutz......
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the new gauge has the resistor built in.
Hope you get it worked out..

Get notified of new replies

To HELP with fuel gauge please!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP with fuel gauge please!