C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Sensor Buzzing ZZZZZZZZZZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
daleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Temp Sensor Buzzing ZZZZZZZZZZ

82 Crossfire- When my Oil Temp Sensor is connected, you can hear a lite buzzing sound in the Cabin. It also drains the battery because this sound runs constant while the car is turned off. Does anyone know what is going on with this? I followed a wiring diagram, and it doesnt show that anything is spliced into that wire connection. It shows it going directly to the Temp Guage. Heeelllp!!!

Last edited by daleman; 09-22-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to post year
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Daleman...

You got me on this one. The oil temp gauge has power and ground with the key on and ohms from the sender. When you un-hook the gauge from the sending unit it should peg full and when you ground it out at the sending unit it should read empty.

Does it work this way?

With this in mind.. Turn on the key with the sender unhooked and ground out the sender wire to the block. See if you get your buzz or an arc. If you do you have a short somewhere. Since the oil temp gauge wires direct instead of through the printed circuit It could be the gauge but I would think if it were the gauge it would do this with or without ohms input from the sender.

Can you identify where the buzz is coming from? I think this is going to be important since you have such an odd issue. If it is coming from the gauge I’d pull the cluster and bench test the gauge. The cluster is not that hard to remove and if you go to the site under 78-82 dash pad removal you can pick off how instructions on how to do it.

Another suggestion would be to check the ohms wire at the gauge for voltage.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 PM
daleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I screwed up, Its the Oil Pressure scensor not the Temp.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Dangit Dale... LOL... Ok.. same rules apply.. Gauge works the same except it goes through the printed circuit. So.. knowing this I'd go to the printed circuit and see if you have a finger loose at the connector possibly touching a positive wire..

Can you tell where the buzz is coming from?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Temp Sensor Buzzing ZZZZZZZZZZ

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Sensor Buzzing ZZZZZZZZZZ