C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting timing on an 81

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Setting timing on an 81

I took in a basket case; an 81 which had more than one brush with a Omar the part time camel driver and self proclaimed auto mechanic (I never saw as many dangling vacuum hoses and dangling electrical connectors with no place to go, AND cut wires on one car ever, if you know what I mean!). Anywayz, it has been rescued from Omar's place (while Omar was using the camel as a prop for a sex education seminar, the owner towed the little Vette to my place for some TLC and to get it ambulatory, for starters).

Well, anyway... I got it running...technically speaking, but I am hoping someone can tell me how to set the timing on an 81. I understand it has a "CCC" (computer of sorts) behind the driver's seat - not sure it is even there still - but, can tell me how to verify it is working properly?

Thanks in advance.

P.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
maxmachz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the check engine light come on at key up?

Does the distributor have a short 4 wire harness going to a plug?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

good info in this thread, hope it helps
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...R1vj9bqtMYuD8w
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Are sure all the 81 CCC systems are connected?
There are several: TPS and F/A mix solenoid on the carb itself, non vac advance electronic HEI dizzy, vac sensor on the firewall, temp sensor on the manifold etc...
A1 has it right in the other thread, 12 to 14 for base timing with the 4 pin connector disconnected, engine warm. Reconnect and give it a try. Be sure and check/clear any codes, if it has codes the CCC will run in Open Loop and the timing will not advance correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting timing on an 81

Quick Reply: Setting timing on an 81