C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question...starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Starters do not start one time and then not the other.....
yes they do. I use to have a motorcycle that didn't crank when it got hot, replaced the relay and didn't help a lick, dropped the $200+ for the starter cuzz taking the original apart and cleaning and lubing didn't help. was flawless ever since, oh and yeah, I wasted $60 buying a new battery first, even returned the good one cuzz when the damn thing didn't start with new battery, I assumed it was bad too....live and learn. only thing he should be doing with battery is unhooking it so he doesn't do any arc welding under there

Last edited by Doug1; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

note post #4

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...er-issues.html
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM
edlyss
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnt365
There is a tool http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/side-...-wrench-1.html I wish I could tell you more but my battery is a top mount so I am not sure what you are up against.

Can you fit a box end down there?
Update: I could not fit the ratchet in enough to turn the bolt....the rubber surrounding it was getting in the wasy, so I shaved a slice off with a razor blade, and it did the job...removed the battery, took it to NAPA, and had it tested. Heres the interesting part. when they tested it, they attached their equipment to the top posts, and it said it was fine. I asked them to use the side posts, and the battery was dead...bought a new one....and that fixed my problem...I want to thank you and everyone else who had suggestions for me, you guys were a great resource for me and will continue to be as I tackle more and more things on my dream car. Thanks again for all the help
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice work! Man those side posts really had it in for you. The previous owner of my car changed the cables to top mount connections and I installed a 1000 CA battery. Get the most cranking amps you can.

Who woulda thought it was the side posts! That may be why mine was converted, instead of getting the correct battery he cut the cables and converted.

I want to comment on an earlier post about a starter working one day and then not working the next. I don't want to argue the point because obviously anything can happen. However, in my experience, there has usually been symptoms that lead up to the failure.

For example my Corvette starter was slow when hot, would get heat soaked and not start, would not push the bendix all the way out sometimes. Then it started making a clanking noise too. I figured it was old and tired and the headers have had there way with it for some time. When I got it off there was a crack in the housing and the solenoid was just hanging there. Amazing. The new starter absolutley solved some of my hot start problems.

I am glad you got her running! You should post some pictures of what you are working with engine compartment too. If you havent recurved the distributor, that should be on your short list of todo's. You need a good timing light but after that, only about $10 worth of springs.

ps, My favorite thing about Sealy was this liquor store downtown right across from the police station. It was nick named "Blind mans liquor". Every small town needs one of those.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Doug1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by edlyss
. Heres the interesting part. when they tested it, they attached their equipment to the top posts, and it said it was fine. I asked them to use the side posts, and the battery was dead....
wow, that's weird. that makes no sense at all. have you gone for a long drive, turned it off and restarted, just to be certain?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug1
wow, that's weird. that makes no sense at all. have you gone for a long drive, turned it off and restarted, just to be certain?
It's not too uncommon. The posts can be twisted, over tightened, or jostled too much and a break or bad connection can form in the internal connections.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Starters do not start one time and then not the other....and heat does not have an effect on cranking...everything is hot under the hood and a starter is part of that system.... There is a possibility of a overcharging alternator is causing the bad smell from the battery but there is a possible ground problem causing a slow cranking starter...Vettes seek grounds where ever they can find it, ie, gas lines, brake lines, shift cables and anything else. But these are not as good as a battery cable to carry enough cranking power from the battery....Check the batteries condition and the ground under the battery to the frame...Might save you a lot of money from guessing wrong....
Actually heat has a big effect on cranking, especially on Corvettes. Apparently not related to the problem experienced by the OP, but heat soak is a huge problem on Corvettes because of the tightness of the engine compartment. If a Corvette won't turn over when its hot, its usually a conventional starter that doesn't like getting hot. The solution is to switch to a modern gear reduction starter. FWIW.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Starters do not start one time and then not the other....and heat does not have an effect on cranking...everything is hot under the hood and a starter is part of that system.... There is a possibility of a overcharging alternator is causing the bad smell from the battery but there is a possible ground problem causing a slow cranking starter...Vettes seek grounds where ever they can find it, ie, gas lines, brake lines, shift cables and anything else. But these are not as good as a battery cable to carry enough cranking power from the battery....Check the batteries condition and the ground under the battery to the frame...Might save you a lot of money from guessing wrong....
Originally Posted by Doug1
yes they do. I use to have a motorcycle that didn't crank when it got hot, replaced the relay and didn't help a lick, dropped the $200+ for the starter cuzz taking the original apart and cleaning and lubing didn't help. was flawless ever since, oh and yeah, I wasted $60 buying a new battery first, even returned the good one cuzz when the damn thing didn't start with new battery, I assumed it was bad too....live and learn. only thing he should be doing with battery is unhooking it so he doesn't do any arc welding under there
When you experience a problem like that and all other components are good, then this is most likely the cause as it can be intermittent.
The disc turns every time and it just happens to turn onto a spot on the disc that is carboned so badly to prevent sufficient juice.
It does warn of pending doom for the solenoid unless you want to polish it up a bit to extend it's life.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

all good posts above, thanks, learned a lot!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noonie
When you experience a problem like that and all other components are good, then this is most likely the cause as it can be intermittent.
The disc turns every time and it just happens to turn onto a spot on the disc that is carboned so badly to prevent sufficient juice.
It does warn of pending doom for the solenoid unless you want to polish it up a bit to extend it's life.
Good information noonie.
The lug, if eroded can be flipped as it only uses half of its contact surface at a time. A solenoid in this condition will normally click as the solenoid plunger moves. If there is no click, and current supply to the starter is good, heat can play a role in no starting. The S terminal sends power to the coil that produces magnetic force to push the disc onto the contacts. For a constant voltage, heat makes the coil less efficient because it reduces the ampere turns and, hence, the flux density and the torque/force output on the plunger. It then may not be able to overcome the force of the return spring. This is why Chevrolet came out with a kit to boost current to the S terminal (and a weaker replacement spring) to help with problem vehicles that experienced "heat soak".
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Actually heat has a big effect on cranking, especially on Corvettes. Apparently not related to the problem experienced by the OP, but heat soak is a huge problem on Corvettes because of the tightness of the engine compartment. If a Corvette Won't turn over when its hot, its usually a conventional starter that doesn't like getting hot. The solution is to switch to a modern gear reduction starter. FWIW.
What you ought to do is use my starters.....on second thought I wouldn't sell to any one that used the phrase 'HEAT SOAK' ....its just a ridiculous solution ......rumors by bench racers and back alley mechanics repeated time after time and then some begin to believe the statement .Some what like the propaganda 'Obamba' preached over and over during this past election.......and the dummies believed him

These cars cranked when new without any problems and merely because of age is not correct....But the back alley mechanics can screw up any cars not only Vettes....smart analysis and if a part is really needed a good and correct replacement part cures the problem....sorry but 'heat soak' is not one of them
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you saying excessive heat has zero effect on a starters performance?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Starters do not start one time and then not the other....and heat does not have an effect on cranking...everything is hot under the hood and a starter is part of that system....
Two days ago (2) I had a Chevy truck that would not start. No click, no action at all. Would not jump, battery and connections were all good. Hit the solenoid with a tire iron, and it cranked. It cranked 20 more times after that. It was still cranking when I replaced the starter. I replaced starter and solenoid both as they had over 200,000 miles.

What you ought to do is use my starters.....on second thought I wouldn't sell to any one that used the phrase 'HEAT SOAK' ....its just a ridiculous solution ......rumors by bench racers and back alley mechanics repeated time after time and then some begin to believe the statement .Some what like the propaganda 'Obamba' preached over and over during this past election.......and the dummies believed him

These cars cranked when new without any problems and merely because of age is not correct....But the back alley mechanics can screw up any cars not only Vettes....smart analysis and if a part is really needed a good and correct replacement part cures the problem....sorry but 'heat soak' is not one of them
Most of the time it will be simple problems causing no start, but to ignore heat problems as completely unfounded is.......

The back alley Chevrolet engineers must have not known how to do smart analysis when they designed a "heat soak" kit in the 70's. This was not a rumor. C3s were new in the 70's. I must be a dummy for believing, because I watched Dealership mechanics install the kits- in the 70's. And because I have repaired several severe duty vehicles over the years with this problem. It is a proven scientific fact that heat changes resistance - increasing it.
Originally Posted by 74modified
This is why Chevrolet came out with a kit to boost current to the S terminal (and a weaker replacement spring) to help with problem vehicles that experienced "heat soak".
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM
lonebull
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ground cable from the batt. to the frame was mentioned & pictured. sometime in the future when you have the car up have a close look at that ground cable for signs of corrosion (green powder- maybe white). i have a 25,000 mile car & awhile back i had what i thought was starter problems- peeled a few inches off the lower end of the cable & found it almost corroded in two. wouldn't hurt to replace it when you get a little ahead. if it ever fails you on the road or in a parking lot you're pretty much screwed. there are a lot of grounds & all are important- 1 from the pass. side of your engine block near the starter to the inside of the motor mount- looks like a battery cable- easy to change & not expensive. just a thought.

Quick Reply: newbie question...starting issues