C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question...starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM
edlyss
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question...starting issues

Ok folks...feel like quite an idiot right now....I have a 77 corvette that is not starting, charged the battery and it appears to be ok. A friend told me it might be the starter..this is where I reveal my complete lack of knowledge of all things mechanical..I didnt know what a starter looks like, much less where it was. I went on line and found out where it was, now just had to take it off and take it to get tested, but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to remove the battery cables from the battery. they are side mounted posts, and have some sort of rubber covering. it is very tight in that compartement, so im not sure what to do next....after youre done laughing, maybe I can get some guidance...any and I mean any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Before you pull off the starter, perhaps we can help troubleshoot it a little more for you and keep you from having to do a starter replacement.

What are your exact symptoms? (slow cranking or clicking noise etc.)
When did the symptoms start happening? (started last week all of a sudden.. etc.)
Did anything change between now and and when it was working? (I disconnected the battery to install an amp for the stereo... etc)

ps. I used to live in Bellville down the street from ya'll.

Last edited by johnt365; 11-16-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
edlyss
Cruising

This happend a few weeks ago. I drove it to the store a few blocks from my house, when i came out it would not start. the interior lights came on, and the dash lights came on as well, but the car would not turn over. ended up walking home and towin the car the next morning back to the house. I was told that if my horn and lights work, then it would probably be the starter. while I was trying to start it, it had a strange smell coming from the battery...almost like rotten eggs. on a side note, ther are these little conectors coming into the battery compartment. one black and one red, they are very small, but not connected to anything.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Camivette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Johnt and start with the easy stuff. We all started where you're at

Side mount uses a small wrench, 5/16 or 1/4 I can't remember exactly and unscew from the battery. Use a flashlight and you'll see the head of the bolt.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
edlyss
Cruising

how do I get to these bolts. is there a way to remove the rubber covers surrounding them?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Can you jump start the car?

How old is the battery?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM
edlyss
Cruising

Originally Posted by johnt365
Tried jump starting it, but it didnt do anything. turn the key and all you get is a sound almost like a small chaing being dragged.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
edlyss
Cruising

How old is the battery?
the battery came with the car when I bought it last year, but it looks pretty new. no corrosion anywhere.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM
johnt365
Drifting

When doing a "light test", you need to make sure you turn on the head lights. You will have to manually pop them up to see them but turn on the headlights at night and see if they are bright. If the headlights are bright and you can turn on the high beams with no problems. Then you have probably ruled out the battery. That is a quick substitute for a load test.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
edlyss
Cruising

When doing a "light test", you need to make sure you turn on the head lights. You will have to manually pop them up to see them but turn on the headlights at night and see if they are bright. If the headlights are bright and you can turn on the high beams with no problems. Then you have probably ruled out the battery. That is a quick substitute for a load test.
Ok, just did that test...lights turn on, but noticed a few things...there was definitely a bad smell coming from the battery while i was doing this. tried the power windows, and the passenger side would not work, and the driver side barely moved. the car makes a whirring noise when the key is turned, and the noise changed when i tried the lights and the windows, like it was struggling.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
johnt365
Drifting

I would suspect the battery first and get it properly load tested. You are already taking the ground cable off so you are half way there. Also, the ground cable grounds to the frame right below the battery. Get your wire brush and clean both contact points there.

It may be the starter but I would rule out a power issue first.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
edlyss
Cruising

I would suspect the battery first and get it properly load tested. You are already taking the ground cable off so you are half way there. Also, the ground cable grounds to the frame right below the battery. Get your wire brush and clean both contact points there.

It may be the starter but I would rule out a power issue first.
Thank you for all your help JohnT...after all your help, I will test the battery first...but how do I take the cables off? I used a mirror to locate the bolts, but what about the rubber covers around them, I dont think i can fit a wrench in there, but if I use a ratchet should I be able to fit it between the rubber and the bolts?...thanks again for all your help
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by edlyss
Thank you for all your help JohnT...after all your help, I will test the battery first...but how do I take the cables off? I used a mirror to locate the bolts, but what about the rubber covers around them, I dont think i can fit a wrench in there, but if I use a ratchet should I be able to fit it between the rubber and the bolts?...thanks again for all your help
If the covers look like this

They dont come off, just turn the bolts until they are loose.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:57 PM
edlyss
Cruising

Originally Posted by 74modified

Thank you....will try that.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM
edlyss
Cruising

Originally Posted by 74modified

do i need a special tool to remove these? ive tried different rachet sizes, but cant even get one in there...dothey have a cover that I need to remove first?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
johnt365
Drifting

There is a tool http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/side-...-wrench-1.html I wish I could tell you more but my battery is a top mount so I am not sure what you are up against.

Can you fit a box end down there?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by edlyss
do i need a special tool to remove these? ive tried different rachet sizes, but cant even get one in there...dothey have a cover that I need to remove first?
This is what the bolt looks like. Not usually a cover

You can remove it with a wrench. Or even a pair of pliers on the round part. They make a specific wrench you can pick up at any parts store

Last edited by 74modified; 11-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To newbie question...starting issues

Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If it starts fine when cold but won't start when its hot, its the starter. your mechanical journey begins, stick around, one day you'll be helping someone else just like yourself.
be sure to use jackstands under the car for safety and be carefull your face isn't under the starter when you get the last bolt out, they are heavy.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Below is a pic of the battery looking down from the top. The cables are attached with a 5/16" bolt as per above pics. Have a great weekend, Bill
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug1
If it starts fine when cold but won't start when its hot, its the starter. your mechanical journey begins, stick around, one day you'll be helping someone else just like yourself.
be sure to use jackstands under the car for safety and be carefull your face isn't under the starter when you get the last bolt out, they are heavy.

Starters do not start one time and then not the other....and heat does not have an effect on cranking...everything is hot under the hood and a starter is part of that system.... There is a possibility of a overcharging alternator is causing the bad smell from the battery but there is a possible ground problem causing a slow cranking starter...Vettes seek grounds where ever they can find it, ie, gas lines, brake lines, shift cables and anything else. But these are not as good as a battery cable to carry enough cranking power from the battery....Check the batteries condition and the ground under the battery to the frame...Might save you a lot of money from guessing wrong....

Quick Reply: newbie question...starting issues