C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dhaskins
It's funny I have had a C5 drivers side mirror for about 3 months from a door I bought off craigslist for $25.00. I have sports mirrors now but was thinking if I found a passenger mirror for cheap I would try the C5 mirrors. Well I found one for around $50 and it should be here tomorrow. I started looking to see if anyone had done this mode and found this thread yesterday.

My doors are going to be repainted so I'm not worried about the current holes but Gale, did you move the mirror any further up or back from where sports mirrors mounted? Did you have to shave much of the mount to get the angle right?

If I get mine mounted in the next couple of days I will post a picture but It will be after I get my strut rods done hopefully tonight.

Does anyone have the pin-outs of the wiring of the mirros? I'm already using the C6 door handles and have the wiring for the door panels.
I was able to get some of the Pin Outs on this Forum in the C5 Forums. However with so many Color Code changes they got me started and I just had to figure it out for myself. It went pretty fast, once You have the Ground figued out there will be four wires that make it go four diffrent directions, plus a few mistery wires (heat) that don't make it move any direction. Same for the Joystick. I had just had my Car Painted and decided to change my mind and install the C5 Mirrors as I was assemblying the car. So I wasn't about to screw up the Paint. I thought I would have to do some sort of Shiming to get the Mirrors to lay right and when I was hunting for the Gaskets I figured I would have to make my own and Shim it to. But I didn't, they bolted right on after drilling new Holes. I find it interesting You installed the C6 Door Handles as I did to.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

2003 Vette

Driver c1
Pin Color Function
A Yellow Motor up control
B Black Ground
C Lt Green Motor down control
D Gray Auto Day/Night signal
E Orange Heater voltage
F White Motor right control
G Pink Auto Day/Night ground
H Lt Blue Motor left control

Driver c2
A Gray 5 volt reference
B Dark Green Driver Mirror Vertical Position Sensor
C Black/white Ground
D Gray Driver mirror hrizontal posistion sensor signal

Ok, enought typing for tonight. Does this match your mirrors, or are they not set up for memory? I can get the passenger side tomorrow if you want.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Too late...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my C6 mirror today. Took some pictures of it held up against the car with the C3 sport mirror. Will try to post soon.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lil" Red Corvette; 12-05-2012 at 01:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
slofut (01-31-2016)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
dhaskins
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I was able to get some of the Pin Outs on this Forum in the C5 Forums. However with so many Color Code changes they got me started and I just had to figure it out for myself. It went pretty fast, once You have the Ground figued out there will be four wires that make it go four diffrent directions, plus a few mistery wires (heat) that don't make it move any direction. Same for the Joystick. I had just had my Car Painted and decided to change my mind and install the C5 Mirrors as I was assemblying the car. So I wasn't about to screw up the Paint. I thought I would have to do some sort of Shiming to get the Mirrors to lay right and when I was hunting for the Gaskets I figured I would have to make my own and Shim it to. But I didn't, they bolted right on after drilling new Holes. I find it interesting You installed the C6 Door Handles as I did to.
I found the same thing last night. I thought I would have to make some kind of shim but it mounted without one. I also used the front hold and made two new holes to mount it. It looks even better than I thought it would. I'm thinking about laminating with carbon fiber at some point.

I would like to see how you implemented your door handles. I used the C3 door handle on the outside so it looks like there was no change when the door is closed. I cut part the connects to the old latch and made it hit a push pad mounted inside the door next to the handle. I removed all of the old latching system in the door. Right now I don't have my windows in and I have no moving parts in the door except for the outside door handle. No rods no latches no rattles. On the inside i'm using the C6 electric push button. I also have the C6 door latches mount and the manual pull from those mounted on the floor. I haven't decided where I'm going to put the outside manual pull yet. I won't have to worry about that until I get my windows put in my doors.
I bought a C3 parts car a few months ago that had two door on it. I didn't want to use my current doors/door handles. I wasn't sure I would get it to work the way I wanted to. It actually works better than I thought it would. It is amazing to me how easy the doors open now. My six year old son couldn't open the door before I made the change and now my 4 year old daughter can open the door without any effort. I can even open the door with the key-less entry key-fob.

Sorry I didn't mean to get off subject. Thank you Learning_Curve. I will start shopping for some controls.

Lil" Red Corvette it's funny, I have a black car and my C5 mirror is red

Last edited by dhaskins; 12-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

i have been very interested in this thread.... and like the idea very much, but the from the pictures i have seen so far, I do not like the look.... to me it just does not fit.....

maybe the C5 mirror would be better???? but the ones pictured just hang out to far... jmho... nothing more. p
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think they would look fine but would paint them the color of the car. Here is a 71 I had. I used factory Delsol mirrors, which are close to the C6's.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going to paint them, just trying to give people an idea of the differences. I love the way my current 77 style sport mirrors look. If the car wasn't a DD I wouldn't worry about it. The C5 probably would LOOK better because they are a tad lower. But, like I think Gale said earlier in the thread the C5 mirror view is still partially blocked by the rear fenders. I going for side mirrors that work well enough that I can continue to drive the car without my rear view mirror. When I get my current 77 mirror unbolted I will try to post a picture showing the difference in view between the two.
Puniphorous (10-30-2021)
Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
I think they would look fine but would paint them the color of the car. Here is a 71 I had. I used factory Delsol mirrors, which are close to the C6's.

These mirrors do look similar to the C5 and C6 except that they are tucked in closer to the car. How was view? Were they still partially blocked by the rear fenders?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil" Red Corvette
These mirrors do look similar to the C5 and C6 except that they are tucked in closer to the car. How was view? Were they still partially blocked by the rear fenders?
About all you could see, once adjusted, were the top edge of the rear fenders. Everything else was a clear view
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dhaskins
I found the same thing last night. I thought I would have to make some kind of shim but it mounted without one. I also used the front hold and made two new holes to mount it. It looks even better than I thought it would. I'm thinking about laminating with carbon fiber at some point.

I would like to see how you implemented your door handles. I used the C3 door handle on the outside so it looks like there was no change when the door is closed. I cut part the connects to the old latch and made it hit a push pad mounted inside the door next to the handle. I removed all of the old latching system in the door. Right now I don't have my windows in and I have no moving parts in the door except for the outside door handle. No rods no latches no rattles. On the inside i'm using the C6 electric push button. I also have the C6 door latches mount and the manual pull from those mounted on the floor. I haven't decided where I'm going to put the outside manual pull yet. I won't have to worry about that until I get my windows put in my doors.
I bought a C3 parts car a few months ago that had two door on it. I didn't want to use my current doors/door handles. I wasn't sure I would get it to work the way I wanted to. It actually works better than I thought it would. It is amazing to me how easy the doors open now. My six year old son couldn't open the door before I made the change and now my 4 year old daughter can open the door without any effort. I can even open the door with the key-less entry key-fob.

Sorry I didn't mean to get off subject. Thank you Learning_Curve. I will start shopping for some controls.

Lil" Red Corvette it's funny, I have a black car and my C5 mirror is red
I did mine in a very diffrent way, you must of had some C6 Doors to look at and see how they work. All I started out with was some new C6 Door switchs, or openers or what ever a modern car calls them. I rented a C6 on Vacation in Hawaii and one of the more noticable features was the way the doors opened, from unlocking when the key flob got close to the car to the way the inside was opened with a switch and not a Linkgage. It must be way cheaper to manufacture and nothing to rattle.
What I did was use a Hot Rod keyless entry kit, what you would see at a Show where You see a Hot Rod that has no Door Handles. Basicly its just a couple of big Solinoids that Jerk the door rods and pop the lock. I never used the Key Flob, I just wired it to the C6 Switchs, so you open the Door just like a C6, and when you pull on the door switch it powers the Solinoid and pops the Lock. As I was doing a Custom Body and Paint Job at the time, I cut into the Quarter Panels and made it look like a C6 to reach the Switchs. As far as the inside, I still have the stock pull rod and manual inside door opening parts. On the outside I no longer have the C3 Door Handle, or Key lock. And all of there linkage is gone. When was doing all this I wondered what the Locking meckanism must look like on a C6, and if I could eliminate all the C3 Rattles at the same time.
73sbvert (04-28-2020)
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

OK so here is an attempt to link a couple of Photos...

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/DSC_4937.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/DSC_4931.jpg
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Near as I can tell that worked. I had pretty much given up trying to post a Picture on this site. OK so I will try it again...

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/DSC_4933.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/DSC_4938.jpg

I had a bit of a window today between Rainstorms. A Black car is hard to get a detailed picture with out reflections. At least it gave me time to run the Car for 20 minutes and warm up.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Nasti12
Advanced

G.B. - that really looks good, nice job all around.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasti12
G.B. - that really looks good, nice job all around.

Looks real nice! Can you get a pic from the front center back a bit, so it shows both sides?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
dhaskins
Navigator

Here is how I did it. I've never driven a C6 but I have looked at the pictures/videos of the latching system. I was thinking about doing the door poppers when I came across these on ebay for less than I could have bought a set of door poppers. I told my sixteen year old daughter that I was thinking of removing the outside door handles and she talked me into leaving them. I'm glad she did but I do like how you did yours. My car is still very rough right now but I'm getting there. I am still working on getting the door jam glassed in around the latch and the covers put on. Excuse my messy garage.

Here is a picture with the one C5 mirror on the drivers side and one sports mirror on the passenger side and a video of my door handles.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9w...WE0bTRXU0V1X3c

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9w...VQ5bVItVm9kWk0
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; Couldn't you just use a set of 81 or 82 power mirrors with switches & wiring??

Get notified of new replies

To C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3

Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doctorgene
Yes Sir; Couldn't you just use a set of 81 or 82 power mirrors with switches & wiring??
That would be just way to easy.......

Al though that wouldn't improve visability any. The 81-82 Parts are going to be much harder to come by and may cost more. New Parts probably will not be avalable. In reality these older cars are most likely only driven by the owner and Mirror ajustments are not made all that often, so the manual Sport Mirrors would do the same thing.

I would figure anybody wanting to do this would only be doing it to a Custom Car, and would be doing it to complement other Custom additions made.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I had pretty much given up trying to post a Picture on this site.
It is very simple. Go back and click "edit" on the post where you provided the links. Each pic link you posted starts with [ url ] and ends with [/ url ]. If you simply replace the "url" with "img" the pics will show up in the posts. Doing this with pic links makes the pic visible in the posts on almost every forum. As a matter of fact, on Photobucket there is a window on the right hand side of every pic called "image links". In that window, there is a thing called "IMG code" and if you left click on it, it will automatically copy the full IMG link of the pic that you want to show, and then you just paste it into your post on the forum. Sounds complicated, but once you realize how it works, it isn't.

Here are your pics:

I really like a few things you have done! I have been thinking about doing C6 mirrors, C6 door locks, as well as a center exit exhaust! Well done!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 12-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
73sbvert (04-28-2020)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Lil" Red Corvette
I guess this project is underway because I ordered a C6 drivers mirror today for only $80. I will take plenty of pics. I'm not able to post attachments yet. I'm still learning this forum stuff.
Where did you buy the mirrors from?

Quick Reply: C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3