C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Induction Hood Mod for Stock 80' Hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice setup, looking forward to seeing your results
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Tangelo79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great can't wait for results!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Video of the Results

Thanks Guys! I took the vette out for a cruise and got some video. It's a little long but you can see the air coming into the engine stays very cool! The outside air temp was mid to upper 50's during the cruise. The temp display on the left is for the engine bay, and the temp display on the right is for the air going into the air cleaner.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Any thoughts on the results?

Last edited by MIKE80; 04-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 AM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Mike,

Thanks for the vid and great info on DYI hood mods. Colder air is always a plus for the better engine performance and thanks for sharing.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackwabbit703
Mike,

Thanks for the vid and great info on DYI hood mods. Colder air is always a plus for the better engine performance and thanks for sharing.
No problem. Just doing my part to contribute
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE80
Great work. Nailed it with the thermometers, bid difference in temps.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Im working on my own ram air system and have run into some clearance issues. So I watched your video to see if you really noted any benefits and theses are my observations:

It seems that once you were all warmed up, the engine bay temp was 100, your intake box was 60. Thats a 40 degree difference. Now if I remember correctly, for every 5 degree drop in air temp, you gain 1 hp. (this is an old formula stuck in my head and I may be WAY off) Based on those numbers, you gained 8 HP....

My 454 has a scoop in the hood which fits directly over a 14" aircleaner. There isnt much clearance to add anything. I dummied a square cardboard plate attached to the air cleaner base and its touching the hood in many places. I dont know if ots worth it for me to pursue this project.

Did you notice a significant improvement? Im wondering if my scoop is already letting in enough fresh air. (or maybe its acting as a stove pipe to let it out and getting sucked down the carb...)

My hood scoop is definitely BUBBA, and Im going to have a hard time matching every contour and line, Im wondering if a partially sealed air box is better than none at all? Im thinking of just attaching a plate to the air cleaner base which will block the majority of the hot air.

Last edited by Scottd; 07-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scottd
Im working on my own ram air system and have run into some clearance issues. So I watched your video to see if you really noted any benefits and theses are my observations:

It seems that once you were all warmed up, the engine bay temp was 100, your intake box was 60. Thats a 40 degree difference. Now if I remember correctly, for every 5 degree drop in air temp, you gain 1 hp. (this is an old formula stuck in my head and I may be WAY off) Based on those numbers, you gained 8 HP....

My 454 has a scoop in the hood which fits directly over a 14" aircleaner. There isnt much clearance to add anything. I dummied a square cardboard plate attached to the air cleaner base and its touching the hood in many places. I dont know if ots worth it for me to pursue this project.

Did you notice a significant improvement? Im wondering if my scoop is already letting in enough fresh air. (or maybe its acting as a stove pipe to let it out and getting sucked down the carb...)

My hood scoop is definitely BUBBA, and Im going to have a hard time matching every contour and line, Im wondering if a partially sealed air box is better than none at all? Im thinking of just attaching a plate to the air cleaner base which will block the majority of the hot air.

Yeah, there's definitely an improvement. There is less hesitation, seems a lot smoother, and pulls harder. Seems like more torque to me. I'm sure that whatever power gains I get from the cold air intake is only part of it, because the engine seems to be running better than it was with taking in the engine heat, so I'm sure that's worth some more power. Not sure how much, but it's enough to notice.

I think that your best bet is to seal the air chamber completely from the engine bay. If your hood scoop is that bad, maybe you are better off getting a new one (L-88, etc.) and redoing the scoop. This guys scoop seems to be coming along nicely. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-88-scoop.html
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Default Update

Okay, the original test that I did in the video was done in 55-60 degree weather. The other night I was out and temps were in the 80's. I was getting on the throttle some opening it up, it was running great! The engine bay temperature was reading 156 degrees and the air intake temperature going into the engine was reading 84 degrees.

A bit of a difference there, huh?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Induction Hood Mod for Stock 80' Hood