C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Firebird77
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problems

Hey guys, another issue on my new '73 Vette. I just brought her from the US to Europe and here's the issue. On a first ride the car started and ran normally. The problem appeared when I got to take the gas. The warm engine cranked but simply couldn't start. I had to wait about 2 hours during which I tried to start, and only after that time she started.

I drove her to the garage where in about 2 months time I started her twice, more-less without problems. After that I am not able to start her at all. Not sure if my starting procedure is right - after few weeks sitting I fully depress the gas pedal twice and then only trying to start with my foot off the gas pedal.

The car is allover in a pretty good maintained shape and the previous owner told me that only the carb needs a minor setup. There is a 650 Speed Demon carb installed.

I understand this is not a simple task to solve. Can you please just write a few tips where to begin and what to look for?

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My guess is the choke is off as it sounds like it was still closed during the warm start. Why she wont start now Ihave no idea other then maybe a clogged fuel filter. Any additives in your fuel that we dont use over here?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Firebird77
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATIS
My guess is the choke is off as it sounds like it was still closed during the warm start. Why she wont start now Ihave no idea other then maybe a clogged fuel filter. Any additives in your fuel that we dont use over here?
Not sure about any additives, the gas is standard 95 oct. Attached is the fuel filter picture. There is little something to clean out but I'm not sure if that could be the right cause as the car started previously with the cold engine...

Last edited by Firebird77; 01-19-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting problems

Quick Reply: Starting problems