C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternatives to rag joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternatives to rag joint

Hey guys, as the title says, are there any alternatives to the factory rag joint between the steering column and the box?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jig A Low
Hey guys, as the title says, are there any alternatives to the factory rag joint between the steering column and the box?
Flaming-River has a ujoint setup....but the rag joint is there for a good reason. Jim Shea is the man on this topic.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
tarheeljww
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borgeson sells a universal joint that replaces the rag.........I put one in with their unit, not sure if it fits the stock unit, but worth the call to find out.......
The uni takes all the play out......
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jig A Low
I swapped mine out for a Flaming River stainless steel U-joint. Call them and they will hook you up with the right one for your vette.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005

Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Flaming-River has a ujoint setup....but the rag joint is there for a good reason. Jim Shea is the man on this topic.

Vettes flex and the rag joint is the flexible part between the frame and steering wheel.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Vettes flex and the rag joint is the flexible part between the frame and steering wheel.
I've heard that before. But I haven't heard of anyone that installed one of these U-joints having any problems. I installed mine a couple years ago, still no issues.

Have you guys heard of anyone having a problem after swapping a ragjoint for a U-joint?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Back 43 years ago, I was a product engineering design group supervisor. I was responsible for flexible steering shaft couplings and power steering pressure hoses for the C2/C3 Corvette and all the other GM vehicles in the 70s and early 80s. So I do have quite a bit of experience with these products.

In those days, virtually 100% of the General Motors passenger cars had a rigid frame and a seperate body mounted to that frame with rubber body mounts. Those General Motors vehicles also utilized a rubber element between the steering column (part of the body) to the steering gear (part of the rigid frame.) There were four basic reasons why there was a flexible disc (with 4 or 7 laminations of neoprene rubber and cotton cloth) in the shape of a flexible steering shaft coupling assembly. The functions of that part were as follows:
1). Absorb rough road shocks from reaching the steering wheel.
2). Isolate road and hydraulic noise from being transmitted into the driver compartment.
3). Allow for body to frame tolerance and minor movement between the body and frame as the vehicle is being driven.
4). Accommodate any design angle between the steering column and the steering gear.
5). Provide a reliable ground path for the horn.
I think that there are universal joints that have a rubber damper element as part of the design. This would allow the part to accomplish the function of #1 , #2, and #4 above. I'm not sure about #5.

However, a universal joint is very rigid therefore it wll not allow for any misalignment of the steering column to the steering gear. Also a universal joint will not allow for body to frame movement.

Our fear, as the design responsible steering Division, was that the lower column bearing and the lower steering column jacket would not be able to absorb any movement of the body to the frame during the life of a car. Therefore a rubber element between the two was required.

Now I am fully aware that there are many aftermarket steering systems for the C2/C3 Corvettes that now incorporate a universal joint. Also I am fully aware that quality flexible coupling assemblies are becoming quite rare.

So the best that I can do is try to council people making installations with rigid univeral joints is to keep a close eye on the installation and be alert to any looseness or degradation of the lower steering column bearing.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 02-23-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added a 5th function
The following users liked this post:
Adollarwodbnice (04-28-2022)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Back 43 years ago, I was a product engineering design group supervisor. I was responsible for flexible steering shaft couplings and power steering pressure hoses for the C2/C3 Corvette and all the other GM vehicles in the 70s and early 80s. So I do have quite a bit of experience with these products.

In those days, virtually 100% of the General Motors passenger cars had a rigid frame and a seperate body mounted to that frame with rubber body mounts. Those General Motors vehicles also utilized a rubber element between the steering column (part of the body) to the steering gear (part of the rigid frame.) There were three basic reasons why there was a flexible disc (with 4 or 7 laminations of neoprene rubber and cotton cloth) in the shape of a flexible steering shaft coupling assembly. The functions of that part were as follows:
1). Absorb rough road shocks from reaching the steering wheel.
2). Isolate road and hydraulic noise from being transmitted into the driver compartment.
3). Allow for body to frame tolerance and minor movement between the body and frame as the vehicle is being driven.
4). Accommodate any design angle between the steering column and the steering gear.
I think that there are universal joints that have a rubber damper element as part of the design. This would allow the part to accomplish the function of #1 , #2, and #4 above.

However, a universal joint is very rigid therefore it wll not allow for any misalignment of the steering column to the steering gear. Also a universal joint will not allow for body to frame movement.

Our fear, as the design responsible steering Division, was that the lower column bearing and the lower steering column jacket would not be able to absorb any movement of the body to the frame during the life of a car. Therefore a rubber element between the two was required.

Now I am fully aware that there are many aftermarket steering systems for the C2/C3 Corvettes that now incorporate a universal joint. Also I am fully aware that quality flexible coupling assemblies are becoming quite rare.

So the best that I can do is try to council people making installations with rigid univeral joints is to keep a close eye on the installation and be alert to any looseness or degradation of the lower steering column bearing.

Jim
Appreciate the heads up Jim. I don't think that mine flexes as much with the poly body mounts compared to the rubber body mounts. I checked it last summer when I took the picture below and all seemed good and tight. Mine is not a daily driver, but I will check it now and then to make sure all is good.

Get notified of new replies

To alternatives to rag joint

Quick Reply: alternatives to rag joint