C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Ground Points

Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
IronMaiden
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Ground Points

Thanks to you guys, I have finally diagnosed my electrical problems as some bad ground connection. Poking around the window motor with my multimeter just confirmed it.

Yesterday I washed the car, and after starting the car, EVERYTHING WORKED AGAIN !! All the dials worked, the tach, the windows, everything- til the car dried off.

If someone could point me to where all of the electrical ground points on the car are, that would really help me! I searched through the mitchell and chilton manuals to no avail. Pictures would be awesome, or even just a description of where the ground points physically are and how to get to them. Any tips on checking and fixing grounds would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i will post a picture of the engine to frame ground,the tough one to find.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Pics. of my '77. mike...

The first pic. shows the ground from the engine to the frame.The black wire in the second pic. is for the starter wiring and is attached to the bell housing to motor bolt. The third pic. shows the ground on the back of the alternator. The negative cable from the battery is attached to the frame but I can not find a pic. at this time. There are many more throughout the car.

Bill beat me. Bill, did I ever tell you that you are Weird?

Last edited by mds3013; 04-03-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM
IronMaiden
Intermediate

You guys are awesome! Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

mds 3013 it looks like they changed the upper engine ground connection from '76 to '77.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to the main ground from the battery, my '74 also has one on the driver's side of the radiatior support, one under the front driver's fender at the body mount and one on the rear driver's side frame (a wire and a flat metal extension from the radio antenna). I believe there are also several ground wires under the dash and console.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
In addition to the main ground from the battery, my '74 also has one on the driver's side of the radiatior support, one under the front driver's fender at the body mount and one on the rear driver's side frame (a wire and a flat metal extension from the radio antenna). I believe there are also several ground wires under the dash and console.
Dont know about 76 or 74 but my 69 has or had ground wires at the number 1 body mount from the rocker channel down to the frame / body mount. Could explain while wet some stuff worked as it may have gotten wet. Then like above youve got grounds that go to the birdcage behind the dash that need to carry over to your tach and center console.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Advt86
2nd Gear

Hello,
Sorry to bring that post up, but would you have the pictures of the ground points? I am currently trying to hunt them down.
Thanks
Adrien
Old 01-10-2020, 12:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You should start a new thread for your question. Most folks will not even open a thread started many years earlier.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Advt86
Hello,
Sorry to bring that post up, but would you have the pictures of the ground points? I am currently trying to hunt them down.
Thanks
Adrien
There is one on the passenger side motor mount, two on the exhaust crossmember (exhaust to frame) one on the rear frame (last crossmember) by the taillights towards the pass side for gas tank and taillights.
One on the rear drivers side frame for the antenna.
Drivers side #2 body mount uses a copper strap clip on style. May be on the opposite side too, I don't recall.
Radiator frame. Drivers side, one or two black wires from harness.
Metal support across the front for the headlights.
From the battery compartment just to the drivers side of the rear crossmember /snubber differential connection/emergency brake line bracket.
Inside birdcage/drivers side just above #2 mount
Cross bracket underneath shifter
there may have been one under the dash are towards pass side.
Look for 7/16" holes ( motor mount & Battery ground ) and smaller 5/16" (?) taillights, gas tank, antenna

Photo download not working on this GD forum. I'll try and post later.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Ground Points

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Ground Points