C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Starter / Ignition Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
mattowen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Starter / Ignition Wiring Questions

I've got 2 quick wiring questions for my 81 and these reference specifically the 4 page PDF wiring diagram that seems pretty standard on the forum...

1) There are 2 red wires that feed into the ignition switch for "BAT2" and "BAT3". These basically come from what appears to be a 6 wire junction that is fed from 2 wires from the starter solenoid and 1 directly from the battery + terminal. (The final wire at this junction goes to the headlights).

The ignition switch has a "BAT1" that while it has no numbered wire associated with it, I'm assuming is powered all the time (hence connected to the battery somehow?), because when you turn the key to start, BAT2 and BAT3 are not involved and the solenoid is nonetheless getting power.

Additionally, in the RUN and ACC modes, BAT1 is connected to BAT2 and BAT3.

So my question... what is the purpose of those two red wires going into the ignition switch, and by extension, BAT2 and BAT3? It would seem if you remove them, START and RUN are still going to get volts from BAT1.

2) The second question relates to that 6 point junction... why does it have 3 fairly direct connections to the same + battery power source. 2 come directly off the solenoid BAT terminal and one directly from the + terminal of the battery. Specifically the red (THERMO) wire coming off the solenoid, which goes directly to the 6 point junction, directly touches a wire from the + battery terminal. One of the other wires at the 6 point junction also connects to the + terminal of the battery. Why are there 3 wires that have a very direct path to the battery all at that junction?

I'd appreciate anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

Quick Reply: 81 Starter / Ignition Wiring Questions