C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Question About 1970 Key Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Basic Question About 1970 Key Buzzer

I am finishing up my interior refresh on my 70. I changed the courtesy light/alarm switch at the front of the drives door. Now that I have the steering column back in I've been able to put power through the car, and test out the systems I repaired.

So my question is: what is the normal operation of the key buzzer?

I have seen a million threads on how to disable it, but I want to know that it is working correctly before I make any decision on unplugging it. Right now when I open the driver door I don't get a courtesy light (which I need to fix). If I put the key in with the door open my horn relay starts squealing. Once I turn the key forward 2 clicks that horrible noise stops. Also with the key in the original position if I close the door the squealing stops. Is this the how the buzzer is supposed to operate? Or have I got another issue to fix?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crafty12
I am finishing up my interior refresh on my 70. I changed the courtesy light/alarm switch at the front of the drives door. Now that I have the steering column back in I've been able to put power through the car, and test out the systems I repaired.

So my question is: what is the normal operation of the key buzzer?

I have seen a million threads on how to disable it, but I want to know that it is working correctly before I make any decision on unplugging it. Right now when I open the driver door I don't get a courtesy light (which I need to fix). If I put the key in with the door open my horn relay starts squealing. Once I turn the key forward 2 clicks that horrible noise stops. Also with the key in the original position if I close the door the squealing stops. Is this the how the buzzer is supposed to operate? Or have I got another issue to fix?
That squeal noise you hear should be the buzzer.... not the horn relay. The buzzer is old and may not sound how you expect. Mine sounds weird too. The buzzer is located under the drivers side wheel well (at least is in 69). See if that is where the noise is actually coming from.

Operation... it will sound when the key is in the ignition, in the off postion and the door is open. It sounds to me that it is operating correctly.

If you want to disable it, the easiest thing to do is to just disconnect the wire from the buzzer from under the buzzer itself under the driver side wheel well. Should be a tongue connection. Tape it up good so the end of the wire doesnt risk touching anything. You can easily connect it back when you want to.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by genuine1980
The buzzer is located under the drivers side wheel well
That's where the noise is coming from. Isn't that where the horn relay is also?

Thanks for the reply though! It sounds like that system is working like it should. Now I just need to fix the courtesy light.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The key buzzer is internal with the horn relay in 69. I suspect it's the same for 70.
The following users liked this post:
Flyboy322 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crafty12
That's where the noise is coming from. Isn't that where the horn relay is also?

Thanks for the reply though! It sounds like that system is working like it should. Now I just need to fix the courtesy light.
You know what... I'm really not sure. It may be the case that the buzzer under the driver side wheel well is also the horn relay, but I would think that if you disconnect the wire from it to disable the buzzer, that the horn would not work.

In my 69, the horn still works when I disconnect the buzzer. I would think it is the same for the 70... but who knows lol
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Originally Posted by genuine1980
You know what... I'm really not sure. It may be the case that the buzzer under the driver side wheel well is also the horn relay, but I would think that if you disconnect the wire from it to disable the buzzer, that the horn would not work.

In my 69, the horn still works when I disconnect the buzzer. I would think it is the same for the 70... but who knows lol
As I said I have looked at a ton of old threads on disabling the buzzer. Roger has a very simple way to disable it from the harmonica on the top of the column. If I do anything I'll do it there.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For 1971 (at least) the horn relay IS the key switch buzzer. It is powered when: then engine is not running; the ignition key is fully inserted into the ignition switch; the driver's door is opened.

The 1970, 1971, and 1972 cars are all very similar...and I would be surprised if that key warning system was different during those years.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic Question About 1970 Key Buzzer

Quick Reply: Basic Question About 1970 Key Buzzer