C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy w/ seat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM
dlocke
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy w/ seat question

Hey all, I joined the forum a week or so ago. I bought an 80 C-3 a few months back & am planning on changing out the seat covers. I have done this kind of work before and am comfortable with it, but I was wondering if anyone knew (roughly) how many hog rings it takes to get the job done? I am usually very generous with them on regular GM seats, but these seats are different & I don't want to buy 300 hog rings when a bag of 50 will be fine.
DJL
Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by dlocke
Hey all, I joined the forum a week or so ago. I bought an 80 C-3 a few months back & am planning on changing out the seat covers. I have done this kind of work before and am comfortable with it, but I was wondering if anyone knew (roughly) how many hog rings it takes to get the job done? I am usually very generous with them on regular GM seats, but these seats are different & I don't want to buy 300 hog rings when a bag of 50 will be fine.
DJL
Check out the vendors, like Corvette America, Corvette Central, Wilcox, etc., etc.... as there are kits available that include what you need to get the job done. Wilcox always runs a special on his site, and you can even send in your seats to get redone by them at discount prices....
check them all out........
Old 06-08-2013, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you buy the new seat installation kit...they come in it...along with the new wires for the covers due to many that I have encountered needed to be replaced due to rust. I generally buy the covers already installed on new foams due to not wanting to hassle with adding padding and adding in my time in installing the covers (which I have done more than I can count)...can make it cost ineffective to my customers. But to answer your question 50 ( give or take) will get you by.

DUB
Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

DUB
Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a set of covers and new foam. 50-60 sounds right. Came with the package and I had a few left over. Pretty easy job to do.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If the 80 seats are anything like the ones in Dads 78 then it doesn't take that many.

Also, if the frame is the same, then you might want to think about welding some bracing into the seat back to keep it from bending where the seat back bumpers mount. We bent the back to line up the bumpers on Dads car and then welded some small triangle wedges onto it and it's been good since.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

If the foam in your seats is worn, you can purchase new seat covers already installed on new foam.

DC
Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 PM
dlocke
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I also need to paint the seat backs and buckets. We usually use SEM interior paint on Firebirds & Trans Ams. I think the SEM "light buckskin" would closely match my corvette's doeskin. Then again, is there another vendor that matches the doeskin color? Sorry about my ignorance. I have tons of GM experience on Pontiacs & big cars, but never even drove a corvette until I bought this one at age 47. I did help a guy weld up a frame on a 69 back in the 80's, but that is the extent of it. I gotta say that the vette is fun to drive, but somewhat more difficult than an A-body or F-body to work on mechanically.
DJL
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by dlocke
...80...changing out the seat covers... wondering if anyone knew...how many hog rings it takes to get the job done?...
I am sure I am missing something, but you can count the ones you take out and come up with an exact number.

Food For Thought: purchasing new covers already installed on new foam is worth the additional expense.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If the 80 seats are anything like the ones in Dads 78 then it doesn't take that many.

Also, if the frame is the same, then you might want to think about welding some bracing into the seat back to keep it from bending where the seat back bumpers mount. We bent the back to line up the bumpers on Dads car and then welded some small triangle wedges onto it and it's been good since.
Yes. The area around the bottom bumpers is a known weak spot. Most of the repro houses sell a repair plate. Put it in while your seats are all apart.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

don't you just buy a box of them?

Get notified of new replies

To new guy w/ seat question

Quick Reply: new guy w/ seat question