C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Assistance Requested. Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Imran
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Assistance Requested. Pics inside!

Hello everyone,

1974 350 4spd with AC (taken off by prev owner) and upgraded to HEI MSD distrib/ignition which was working great.

So to start with, this car had been up and running before I did a radiator and electrical fan swap. I also changed the rubber fuel hoses as they were brittle. Car was not running for ~ 4-6 weeks.

Today I bought a new battery since the old one had a dead cell and cranked the car. It turned over several times and then actually fired for two seconds but I quickly shut it off as I saw fuel spilling out of the carb.

I tapped the carb and wanted to pinpoint where the fuel was coming from. So I put the key back in, and now, no more lights on the dash and of course the car won't turn. I topped off the battery with my charger. Still no go. Excellent voltage on the new battery.

I checked with a voltmeter and the battery + to ground is intact. The batt to starter has voltage. The alternator + has voltage. The fuse box is completely dead. I can't find my fusible links and I fear that they have already been taken out by the previous owner.

I did find an inline-fuse coming from the alternator which looked like this:

The fuse checked out ok there.

I checked for loose connections at the fuse box.

I also found a few wires that had been capped off or just CUT

I hope these have to do with the AC system being taken out, which I plan on replacing soon.

I found this wire SUPER frayed, but still carrying voltage too

What wire is that?!

Then I found this wire/hose that was cut (no power to it) And I cant identify it. It's coming out of the firewall right under the wiper motor

So questions:

1. Is that in-line fuse in the first picture a factory item or did someone swap it for the fuselink?

2. Where is my other fusiblelink? From what I'm reading online, this can be a potential culprit. Pictures would be greatly appreciated

3. What frayed wire is that in picture #2?

4. What is that mystery hose/wire in the last picture?

5. How else do I get my baby started?

Thank you for all of your help. You guys have always been so wonderful with your assistance and I really mean it when I say THANK YOU

Last edited by Imran; 06-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
roadblock69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your fusible links are down by the starter. Those wires from the starter power your fuse box. The inline fuse was likely installed by a previous owner. Some of those issue are just going to have to be followed down there . I hope that this helps you a little anyway.

Quick Reply: Electrical Assistance Requested. Pics inside!