C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for frozen door sill screw?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Suggestions for frozen door sill screw?

Need to remove the door sill plate but one of the screws is frozen solid (driver side - 2nd one from the front door jamb). I can't see a way to spray penetrating oil on it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Spray the head and hope it'll soak in or round up your drill and a 1/8 bit.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
roadblock69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove the ones in my car, I used an impact screw driver. I simply placed the appropriate bit in the driver, gave the screw driver a firm CCW twist and lightly tapped the impact driver. Worked very well for me. I would not hit the impact driver real hard, the screws are in fiberglass, if memory serves me.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

One of mine snapped off as well. They go throught the fiberglass into the metal support. In retrospect, I should have done as suggested above... plenty of penetrating oil and light hits with an impact screwdriver. I didn't know any better at the time. Sooo... only one is snapped off. The rest I removed more carefully.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Sounds like a common problem. I'll keep soaking it and try your suggestions.
The others were all different ranging from completely stripped to perfectly normal.

thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I drill them out with left hand drill bits. They either back out or get drilled out. Either way they come out.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Those mild steel screws are likely rusted permanently into the channel. Try an E-Z-Out or an impact driver to remove the screw. When that fails, just drill it out with a drill that is just a bit larger than the screw shank. Drill it all the way through, if you can.

Then, fill that hole...and a gob on the underside of it...with JB Weld stick epoxy. Let harden for 24 hours, then put door sill in place and mark/drill new hole for the screw. When you install the sill, don't tighten with much torque...just enough to hold it in place. It will be fine. And, if you use S.S. screws, they will never rust again!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Those mild steel screws are likely rusted permanently into the channel. Try an E-Z-Out or an impact driver to remove the screw. When that fails, just drill it out with a drill that is just a bit larger than the screw shank. Drill it all the way through, if you can.

Then, fill that hole...and a gob on the underside of it...with JB Weld stick epoxy. Let harden for 24 hours, then put door sill in place and mark/drill new hole for the screw. When you install the sill, don't tighten with much torque...just enough to hold it in place. It will be fine. And, if you use S.S. screws, they will never rust again!
I had to fill my holes with epoxy as the previous owner used giant sheet metal screw that of course were too large and did not sit flush.... I used a clear expoxy though and have yet to screw down the new sill plates till after the repaint.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For years I've used a "poor boys" impact tool. Clean the screw grooves where the screwdriver fits, place the screwdriver, tap with a hammer while twisting the driver to remove, you may also need to twist in the opposite direction several times , but they will come out. Don't need too much force on these.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Griff2002
Pro

I had never heard of an impact screwdriver until yesterday. Bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight today and that did the trick. Hope I don't have too many more opportunities to use it.

Thanks again all who posted.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Those cheap ones from Harbor Freight work every bit as well as the $$$$ form Snap-on

I forget about using the one I have- working on big airplanes for years, I have a similar deal, but it fits an air powered rivet gun.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for frozen door sill screw?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for frozen door sill screw?