C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it never ends

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM
namvet6869
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

will do but might be awhile. so hot in so ill. right now. just replaced compressor and trying to make up my mind to replace condenser too or flush it. getting more money tied up in this project than I expected.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM
namvet6869
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well that fitting worked and ice cold air. Its April now and took vette for ride. All the Freon leaked out over winter. Well back to the drawing board.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by namvet6869
Well that fitting worked and ice cold air. Its April now and took vette for ride. All the Freon leaked out over winter. Well back to the drawing board.
Not totally unusual. Mine leaks down each winter as well. I just charge it up and it lasts all season.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Mike21175
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Below is a link to Red Tek's web site. Have you tried the stop leak they sell? I know it works well in 134A systems as the stuff leaks past the seals because the molecules in 134A are smaller than R12, thus the reason why our new cars usually need a charge after 3 or 4 years. Wherever there is a leak, this stuff seals it off and never leaks again. No large holes, just tiny ones like seals or pin holes in the evaporator core.

Mike 

http://www.redtek.com/RTbrochure-28.pdf
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 857 Posts

I haven't tried any stop leaks on my system. I believe those products are mostly a seal conditioner. They operate on the assumption that the seal on the compressor has gotten hard and inflexible and lets freon by due to it's inability to "grip" or seal on the shaft that goes to the clutch assembly.
My system still has the old hoses and it's likely that is the source of my leak. I have a leak detector and whatever leak it has is so small that the detector cannot detect it, running or not.
I have a 30 lb can of 134A so it's not a big deal to top it off each year.
Even my daily drivers need topping every second or third year it's the nature of automotive A/C systems. I have had some that last for years with no service and some that need it every year.
If you don't have a leak detector then a dish soap water mix in a spray bottle is pretty effective at finding leaks at connectors and even the out put shaft behind the clutch assembly.
If it leaks all the way down to atmospheric pressure then it's more of a serious leak, and will require repair and vacuuming down for re-servicing.

Quick Reply: it never ends