C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO fuel line work causing problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Chase1126
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO fuel line work causing problems?

Last week my friend and I decided to give our cars a little run, and I was a little surprised by the results. He has a bone stock 2013 Focus ST, good for a 1/4 mile 14.5@100mph. I have a 1969 L46 Corvette .040 over with a comp cam 280H, unknown performance intake, 3.08 gear and a 2.5" exhaust. He walked me, pretty hard.

I noticed something during the run. We were dead even off the line up to about 3500/4000rpm, then the power would die off and it would struggle to even reach 5,200/5,300 rpm. And the engine would sound unhappy at the higher rpms, I don't think it's a misfire sound, but definitely not right. From my understanding, this is generally caused by spark issues (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil are all new), valve float (but I have no issues getting to 6000rpm out of gear), or fuel starvation... which is when I found this:

Hard fuel line ends at the engine bay, turns in to soft rubber hose with a fuel filter spliced in. Am I wrong in thinking that a fuel filter before the pump could attribute to fuel starvation? The car had a brand new gas tank put in last October, so I assume this was some Bubba work done to protect the pump from a rusty tank.

Does this support the idea of fuel starvation causing my loss of power?
I can't find anything on rebuilding fuel pumps, is my best bet replacing the pump?
I've read that there is supposed to be a hard, molded rubber fuel line before the pump. I was only able to find it here, for $15 after shipping (http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...431-10197.html). Is this the only solution? It seems like a lot for a little piece of tube. Would it be alright to remove the fuel filter and the hose connected to the pump and connect it to the soft line on the other side of the fuel filter?
Any suggestions on a good, cheap replacement fuel pump?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Get a good/cheep...LOL......inline fuel pressure gauge and install it directly before the fuel inlet to the carb (you could actually buy several feet of low-cost fuel hose for testing purposes, and place the gauge inline near the windshield where you could see it while taking the car down the highway/strip....

It would give you a good idea if and when fuel starvation was the problem....

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd always have a fire extinguisher in the car!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Chase1126
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Get a good/cheep...LOL......inline fuel pressure gauge and install it directly before the fuel inlet to the carb (you could actually buy several feet of low-cost fuel hose for testing purposes, and place the gauge inline near the windshield where you could see it while taking the car down the highway/strip....

It would give you a good idea if and when fuel starvation was the problem....

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd always have a fire extinguisher in the car!
I meant good/cheap as something affordable that will get the job done. I have a low budget for the next few months and I wanted to spend it on LT headers, and maybe an electronic ignition. Inline fuel gauge is a great idea. I have to pick up a vacuum gauge to set the timing anyway, so I can just pick up a T adapter for it. The PO put a fuel filter after the pump as well, so I'll remove that and use its splice. Either way, the leaky fuel pump and pinched fuel line have to be replaced though, right?

I just read that the molded S-line that is supposed to be connected to the pump to prevent bends and collapsing the line is supposed to be connected directly to hard line... which ends two feet too soon in my car. So I guess the rubber line should be completely removed? AAP has 3' of stainless braided fuel line for $25 bucks. I'm wondering if that could replace the whole rubber line, including where it bends to meet the fuel pump.

Certainly will be leaving a fire extinguisher in the car from now on. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire. The picture doesn't show it, but the fuel pump is pretty much soaked in gas.

Fuel pump I found, and braided fuel line:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...120_0199774328
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...0-p#fragment-3

Last edited by Chase1126; 11-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/corv...talog/c3/#57/z

You should have a supply hose and a vapor return hose. You need the hoses so that there is flex in the system between the engine and frame.

You should have only 1 filter, and it should be AFTER the pump and before the carburetor. A filter before the pump is an unnecessary pressure drop, and could lead to possible cavitation/fuel starvation, in my opinion.

Last edited by LeMans Pete; 11-04-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Premature submittal

Get notified of new replies

To PO fuel line work causing problems?

Quick Reply: PO fuel line work causing problems?