C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Vacuum diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Ribeye
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Vacuum diagram

I recently bought a 1979 Corvette as a project car. The car looks good, but has a lot of problems with the years of modification and work-around. Additionally it appears that the smog system has been removed as well if all 1979 models came with a smog pump (missing). Taking it one step at a time, I am trying to get the Heat and Air Conditioning system operational. Wires hanging with no connectors to the compressor, controls and vacuum lines in the console missing, etc... I have been searching for a good source for a comprehensive vacuum diagram so I can put the car back to its original configuration with no luck. Does anyone know where I can locate something like this. Thanks in advance, by the looks of things I will need all the help I can get.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ribeye,
I just recently started the same with my 81 and joined the forum about 3 months ago. Best decision I made was joining the forum ! Go on eBay and get yourself 2 things for your 79, a 1979 Shop manual and a 1979 AIM (Assembly manual). Those 2 books are like gold for reverse engineering years of previous owner mods you have no crystal ball to. Thanks to the great advice and knowledge of the forum as well as those books for my 81, I am fully operational with my vette and finally onto my own performance mods. Best of Luck. ** Also post pics of your 79 for other topics as most on here do well with a stare and compare. I was able to do the same and others replied back with their images and I could see what was missing, incorrect, etc.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ribeye
...I have been searching for a good source for a comprehensive vacuum diagram so I can put the car back to its original configuration with no luck. Does anyone know where I can locate something like this...
The 79 assembly instruction manuals shows all of it and has an HVAC diagnostic page you can use to test things. Order the AIM. You'll find it handy for more than just the HVAC.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, the AIM is well worth having, especially if you are dealing with mods/hacks/Bubba fixes. It can be a great help just seeing how things are supposed to be assembled.

Scott
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Ribeye
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Yeah, the AIM is well worth having, especially if you are dealing with mods/hacks/Bubba fixes. It can be a great help just seeing how things are supposed to be assembled.

Scott
Thanks very much to all for the boost I need to get going. It seems like a difficult thing to reverse out years of damage, but I am confident the end product will be worth it. I will buy both the shop manual and the AIM. Thanks again,
Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Willcox also has alot of online diagrams if you need one in a hurry.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...eywords=vacuum
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribeye
Thanks very much to all for the boost I need to get going. It seems like a difficult thing to reverse out years of damage, but I am confident the end product will be worth it. I will buy both the shop manual and the AIM. Thanks again,
Just take it a little at a time, and keep moving in the right direction, and before you know it, you'll have a nice driver...unless something goes dreadfully wrong...like the birdcage is completely rusted out, or something. Anyway, good luck, and don't be afraid to post with more specific questions as you go along. There are many experts on this forum who can help you. Also, learn to use the search function (it's a little klunky and hard to use, everybody complains about it, but sometimes you can find an old thread that covers your exact problem in detail.)

Oh! Almost forgot! Welcome to the club!

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Vacuum diagram

Quick Reply: 1979 Vacuum diagram