C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Because it's upside-down and it's been broken in half. Weld the two halves back together and flip it over, and you'll be in good shape!
now theres a plan of action.....
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

What are those, SUs?

I rebuilt a pair of Zenith-Stormbergs for a friend of mine's 71 Jag last year.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

SU's from an MGA maybe originally installed on an early MGB, my latest project

Lars you sure you cant work some of your magic on these things?

Last edited by bobs77vet; 01-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
No doubt FI is more efficient than any carb, but, to retro a carbed engine can be pretty pricey and unless you go with one of the new smart systems can still be a lot of work getting right. And those smart systems? Figure on spending about $3K. My Qjet runs pretty darn good especially when I'm looking at thousands to go FI, doesn't it Gene?
I dunno, Dave, last test drive we had to call a tow truck......Happy New Year man, 2 daze late.....
Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
I dunno, Dave, last test drive we had to call a tow truck:
now thats the definition of a true test drive!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Oil in carbs is unnatural. ;-)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
now thats the definition of a true test drive!!!
Wasn't MY fault!!!........
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lars
I have two Q-jets sitting in my garage. One I believe to be original(off a 1980 L-82) and the other well who knows for sure. I would be more than happy to send them to you. I don't have any use at the moment for either. And unless you tell me that one or the other is in really good shape for a rebuild. You can use them for parts or donate them to the cause. I am running a Holley Carb at the moment.
Jared

Last edited by RushThruLife; 01-03-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
I dunno, Dave, last test drive we had to call a tow truck......Happy New Year man, 2 daze late.....
My car's never been on a hook or a flat bed...I think you've got me confused with someone else...the only time you and I took a trip in my car was down to Melbourne to see Tim and Karsten...rained like crazy, but no tow truck...old age sucks huh??
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by billla
Oil in carbs is unnatural. ;-)
I loved learning how these things work, listening to the experts tell me which brand of ATF or straight 30 would yield better throttle response, hp, etc...
Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Bobs77Vett,

That is a very rare MGA coupe! Have not seen one in years. I had a 1962 1600MKII many moons ago but a roadster. And an early MGB. Fun cars. Yours is rough but looks basically solid. Have fun with the restoration.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I'll mount Paul's Pretty Carb (now to be known as the "PPC") on the run engine in the as-received condition and give it a test run and a photo shoot. I'll start a new thread with test results and photos of the teardown, along with a technical evaluation of the results. I'll then go through the correct setup and repair process to fix whatever we find, and we'll then give it another test on the run engine. Should be a good technical write-up, so watch for it in a week-or-so...

Good participation and comments from everyone in this thread - thanks for all your notes and posts!

Lars
Lars, this will be great info to be shared. Thanks for all you do to keep the q-jet alive. Mine still runs great from your rebuild back around 2000. It got the ethanol-tolerant accelerator pump in that rebuild. Even with the new roller conversion and refreshed heads (very similar duration but about .05" more lift on I & E), the engine starts easy, warms up (even in cold weather) and drives without any hesitation and lots of power.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Bobs77Vett,

That is a very rare MGA coupe! Have not seen one in years. I had a 1962 1600MKII many moons ago but a roadster. And an early MGB. Fun cars. Yours is rough but looks basically solid. Have fun with the restoration.
Owned a '52 MGTD for about a decade. Enjoyed that little beast; never buggered it up with an MGA differential, though, which made it freeway incompatible. I'd cruise it at 50MPH on the back roads as angry tailgaters jumped the double yellow to pass me.

One day I come back from a ride and pop the 'bonnet.' Those $%"*# SU carbs were peeing gas out of their overfill pipes - missing the hot manifold by barely an inch. A microscopic float needle had malfunctioned. After rebuilding the carbs I sold the car.

Anyone who complains about a QuadraJet (which, in my opinion, is the StarShip Enterprise by comparison) hasn't had to deal with 1930s era carbs. Oh, and those 'oil-pots' were - as the Brits say - 'charming.'

Jes'. Sayin'.

Last edited by Capkunu; 01-03-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Capkunu
Owned a '52 MGTD for about a decade. Enjoyed that little beast; never buggered it up with an MGA differential, though, which made it freeway incompatible. I'd cruise it at 50MPH on the back roads as angry tailgaters jumped the double yellow to pass me.

One day I come back from a ride and pop the 'bonnet.' Those $%"*# SU carbs were peeing gas out of their overfill pipes - missing the hot manifold by barely an inch. A microscopic float needle had malfunctioned. After rebuilding the carbs I sold the car.

Anyone who complains about a QuadraJet (which, in my opinion, is the StarShip Enterprise by comparison) hasn't had to deal with 1930s era carbs. Oh, and those 'oil-pots' were - as the Brits say - 'charming.'

Jes'. Sayin'.
You forgot about the Lucas Prince of Darkness. He was a treat to deal with.

About two years ago I "almost" replaced my Corvette with one of the last Triumph TR6s. In fact I lost an EBay bid by just $100.00. I loved those last ones but strangely I was glad I lost. It is hard to get service and parts around here.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been gifted with a stature that prevents me from enjoying classic English sports cars. My line of sight drops dead even with the top of the windshield frame in my firend's XKE.

He enjoys it, though.

I definitely think a QJet makes loads more sense than the CD (constant depression!) carburetors, but it was still fun to work on. The tool I use for reaming throttle shaft holes on QJets indexed and cut perfectly on the ZS carb - same throttle shaft size (5/16) as a QJet primary.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Capkunu
Pro

You forgot about the Lucas Prince of Darkness. He was a treat to deal with.

About two years ago I "almost" replaced my Corvette with one of the last Triumph TR6s. In fact I lost an EBay bid by just $100.00. I loved those last ones but strangely I was glad I lost. It is hard to get service and parts around here.
Lucas! "Why do the Brits drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators."

Don't get me wrong; I love old Brit machines - mostly for the outright crudity of the designs. I've had several, including a '66 TR4-IRS. One day, while traveling over the Bay Bridge, one of the half shafts became 'I'ndependent and parted company with the 'RS.' Loudest, bang/bang/bucking bronco ride I ever had. Then, of course, the Lucas-Loom failed at the worst possible time - in the hi-speed lane of the 101. Miracle I'm here today. But a fun ride while it lasted.

Good thing you lost the TR6 auction. By the time Brit became Leyland, the Limey Auto Industry had fallen to an historic low. Union problems, disgruntled workers; bolts deliberately left in transmissions. You really didn't want to be there.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I've been gifted with a stature that prevents me from enjoying classic English sports cars. My line of sight drops dead even with the top of the windshield frame in my firend's XKE.

He enjoys it, though.

I definitely think a QJet makes loads more sense than the CD (constant depression!) carburetors, but it was still fun to work on. The tool I use for reaming throttle shaft holes on QJets indexed and cut perfectly on the ZS carb - same throttle shaft size (5/16) as a QJet primary.
Damn sexy Jag, there sir. I've got a serious soft spot for the classic Jags; not an ugly one in the bunch. My personal epitome is the '56 XK140, replete with honkin' fender skirts. Nothing says 'classic Brit' more than that sleek (and ginormously expensive) car. But the E-Jags are just plane wonderful looking - and fast - too; absolutely unique.

Get notified of new replies

To QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...

Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Yes, the XKE is one of the most gorgeous cars of the 20th century. Wish I could afford to own and maintain one.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 AM
Capkunu
Pro

Yes, the XKE is one of the most gorgeous cars of the 20th century. Wish I could afford to own and maintain one.
Not for the faint of wallet. Then again, the C3 is certainly not a worse car, and in many respects, easier to own. But Jags have their 'mojo,' without doubt.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM
TWaldo
Advanced

Thanks Lars...received the Qjet and factory distributor you rebuilt. Soo looking forward to feeling how the car responds. Next time we meet, I'm buying the beer.. ....Tom

Quick Reply: QuadraJet Carb Stories Continue: Saving the Good and Trashing the Bad...