C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 A/C wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Ribeye
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 A/C wiring

Well, I have reached the highest point in my A/C knowledge and I could use some help with this one. I am restoring a 79 and the previous owner (or others) disconnected the A/C and I am unable to tell what is missing. According to the wiring diagram the Green wire from the compressor goes into the " compressor control switch." The reason I used quotes is because I can find no part called the "compressor control switch" in any catalog. Additionally, the number on the wiring diagram identifying the part is 12004480 which I also can't find anywhere. I am definitely showing my ignorance here but I would rather have the answer than the pride. Attached are two pictures of two loose wires. They probably connect through this mystery part. Can anyone with a 79 give me some advice on where I should turn at this point? I appreciate it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I appreciate the photo's but they are of no help. Not in focus. I can not see the end of the tan wire...and the other photo...I can not tell what you are pointing to....so I have to guess.

NOW...One thing you can do is get a laminated wiring diagram...unless the one you have is accurate.

The tan wire in the first photo can possibly be the wire that goes to the solenoid on the drivers side of the carb that aids in increasing the idle when you have the A/C on.

The "compressor control switch" can be the pressure switch that is installed in the lines of your A/C system. So when the pressure is correct...the switch will allow the green wire going to your compressor to get power and make the compressor work. It is a safety feature.

Photo 2: If it is a light blue wire...it is for the alarm system and it goes to that plunger switch mounted on your firewall....and this switch will also have a white and or black wire going to it also.

DUB
Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I appreciate the photo's but they are of no help. Not in focus. I can not see the end of the tan wire...and the other photo...I can not tell what you are pointing to....so I have to guess.

NOW...One thing you can do is get a laminated wiring diagram...unless the one you have is accurate.

The tan wire in the first photo can possibly be the wire that goes to the solenoid on the drivers side of the carb that aids in increasing the idle when you have the A/C on.

The "compressor control switch" can be the pressure switch that is installed in the lines of your A/C system. So when the pressure is correct...the switch will allow the green wire going to your compressor to get power and make the compressor work. It is a safety feature.

Photo 2: If it is a light blue wire...it is for the alarm system and it goes to that plunger switch mounted on your firewall....and this switch will also have a white and or black wire going to it also.

DUB
This is the AC wiring diagram and should help idenify the components you are looking for. The blue could be the feed from the resistor to the relay. Picture quality would help.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/popup_ima...?pID=26980.jpg
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Ribeye
Cruising

Thanks to Frank and Dub. The Wilcox diagram helps and I should be able to make this work.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribeye
Thanks to Frank and Dub. The Wilcox diagram helps and I should be able to make this work.
Ribeye check this thread. There are some good photos and some of the test might help you. Ask questions I will try to answer them the best I can.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...nd-engine.html
Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Ribeye
Cruising

Default idle control solinoid

Thanks for your help. I know where it goes now. It is supposed to connect to the idle control solenoid which is missing from the carb. I need to locate one of those and its on to the next mystery.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 A/C wiring

Quick Reply: 1979 A/C wiring