C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 ci

Old 04-05-2015, 12:43 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The real expense, the heads, are good.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 AM
vettezobsezzed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In summary...

So a little recap

I first acquired this engine in 1999. My pals were putting together 350's I had to one up. Just how I am. Purchased a 1974 1/2 ton w/400. Pulled it outta the bush, and actually was racing it home with a pal, and.... Blew it up. Not this bad, but none the less.
Had to tow home, total cost, about $650. In perspective at this time, my big pay days - lots of hrs, would get me $850 for 2 weeks.
Tore engine out, gave truck to a cousin, to gain good karma... Sent engine to machine shop for machine work. All of this very much against the wishes of my grand father, who was my chief influence in the world of SBC. Machine shop called, engine is trash. A real shot to my ego, had already told all my chums I was building a 400. Ask shop to find me a block, and they did. Had them assemble short block, again the the angst of my grandfather, ( he wanted to build it) had to buy everything, including heads, which were "882" no chance at special heads at that time.

It was a stock overhaul, except for flat tops, and edelbrock intake and carb(that I already had, and still do actually). All in all I think I had about $3500-$4000 into this thing, baddest rig goin amongst my friends, put it in my 1/2 tin 4x4. Had a great time with it. Lost track of how many starters I went thru, and flywheels. Oh man... Finally had it up to snuff. Packed up my life, and headed "out west". Originally from New Brunswick.

Over the next year or so, I destroyed a 700r4, and a turbo 400 trans. Settled on a th350 w/stage 2 shift. Then promptly took out a diff. Picked up junkyard duffs and carried on. Fell asleep put truck in ditch, jumped an approach, and somehow split trans case in half. Replace trans again. Then one night went to pick up a new girlfriend... Hit the key... Just mashing up starter gear. Canceled date, took truck home, pulled engine, said good by to a 20 some year old truck, that I could have had a brand new one for the cash I spent. Truck got about 25-40000 miles with this engine. Sat on engine stand since late 2001.
Always wanted to use it on something... Enter corvette world. Found a use for ole 400.
At the outset of this project, I was never gonna spend a dollar in the bottom end. Well aware of the large overbore, and still haunted by now late grandfathers curses of this engine. I didn't even pull a main cap. I didn't care, there was only ever gonna be one more use for this engine... Boat anchor. Having held onto it for 15 years, I wasn't throwing it out. Noway, no how. So I went ahead with this project, and thread. I had no misconception that it wasn't gonna last forever... Cheap, fast, durable...lol
It was a calculated risk, I took it. I'm glad I did...had my kids in the garage for all of it. When we first tore it down, it was my dad, myself and my boy (who has my grandfathers name) in the garage. They both were there for the first refire, almost on the anniversary of my uncles passing, who was there 16 years ago when I fired it for the first time. And my dad and boy were there the nite I took it out in pieces. It was awesome, every minute of it. Not to mention, that car went like mad! It was a blast, they wife even took it for a rip, she couldn't believe it.
It almost feels good tho to finally close the 400 chapter.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 AM
vettezobsezzed
Racer

Default So this is where I'm at...

After I swapped in 400. I promptly moved my ole dumptruck into garage, and pulled its engine. It's no doubt the original engine from that truck, 1981. Still had all its smog equip intact. And I swear the original rubber. Truck hadn't been plated since '84. Anyhow, it's got a bad cam, or lifters or both, almost no valve movement on #7 &#8. Out with its engine, and transplant in my L-48. Now, here's the thing. The clutch on that rig is toast, so it's gotta come apart again, I didn't have one on me at the time, and realistically, I Thot I'd get a month or 2 outta 400. So here's my question, forget corvette for a minute, think of a setup for a 350, whose realistic final destination is a "dump truck" 1981 C30 with Muncie SM465 and 4.56 diff. Wanna keep durable in the equation, and cheap too. But will require lots of tq. I'll fab this up using 882's instead of the 624's that are on it, throw it in my car until winter and swap back.
We did 1.5 engine swaps this weekend, so we're gaining experience all the time. It's quite soothing doing this work when your daily driver is not the one your working on
Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vettezobsezzed
After I swapped in 400. I promptly moved my ole dumptruck into garage, and pulled its engine. It's no doubt the original engine from that truck, 1981. Still had all its smog equip intact. And I swear the original rubber. Truck hadn't been plated since '84. Anyhow, it's got a bad cam, or lifters or both, almost no valve movement on #7 . Out with its engine, and transplant in my L-48. Now, here's the thing. The clutch on that rig is toast, so it's gotta come apart again, I didn't have one on me at the time, and realistically, I Thot I'd get a month or 2 outta 400. So here's my question, forget corvette for a minute, think of a setup for a 350, whose realistic final destination is a "dump truck" 1981 C30 with Muncie SM465 and 4.56 diff. Wanna keep durable in the equation, and cheap too. But will require lots of tq. I'll fab this up using 882's instead of the 624's that are on it, throw it in my car until winter and swap back.
We did 1.5 engine swaps this weekend, so we're gaining experience all the time. It's quite soothing doing this work when your daily driver is not the one your working on
Nice story. Rv cam, maybe xe256h with 1.6 rockers and a performer intake. Remember, plan save and wait. Took me 2 years to build my 400" and might not get the chance to do it again if the crude don't come up.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
The real expense, the heads, are good.
i would think after careful cleaning in mineral spirits the roller rockers are good as as well as roller lifters,roller timing chain,sprockets. actually you need 400 block,6" rods and crank i have new forged (plus .030 forged) flat top pistons and matching hasting racing rings.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

It is a shame your 400 came apart.I would advise an aftermarket block and rotating assembly when the opportunity arrives next time.Your 195 heads will also make a pretty stout 350 or 383.Hopefully things will fall into place so you can get the vette on the road again.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 AM
vettezobsezzed
Racer

Ya, it sucks, but I knew it was coming... Just hoped I'd have had more time. Now I'm on the brink of corvette season, and no car. That's the only thing I'm frustrated over... Not the engine itself.

Still got my buddies Monte Carlo in the garage... This has turned into a large project. $#itty cause we're both on shift, but we got 3 nights on this thing and still not ready to turn the key. In the last month or so, I've done an out/in/out with engine in vette, out/in on chev truck, and an out/in on this monte... I'd swap engines anyday on the vette by myself, than do either of the other 2 with helpers. Vette engine swaps seem much easier... Gotta get it outta my garage so I can start another overhaul...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 400 ci