C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
manfroni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speedometer issue

The speedometer stopped working along with the odometer. My '78 has cruise. Here is the issue, when I spin the cable from the transducer to the speedometer the needle moves, so I am assuming no issue there. I removed the inner cable from the cover at the transducer from the transmission and the cable look perfect, except the plastic end that goes into the transducer was twisted and looked like it had broken off. Would a transducer lock up and cause this?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Absolutely. I've replaced the cables in my 80 and now I have to work on the transducer to completely fix my problems. Either nothing worked , the needle bounced erratically, or it worked fine depending on the planetary alignment, day of the week, mood of the car, or whatever else could affect it.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
manfroni
Instructor

Changed the transducer and lower cable, I'll try it out tonight, hope it works.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 AM
manfroni
Instructor

Here's where I'm at, replaced transducer and lower cable. The lower cable was spun off at transducer, plastic tip was broken. Replaced lower cable and tested upper cable with drill. At full speed speedometer was at 70 mph. Still won't work. Does it sound like speedometer gear? Why did the lower cable break at the transducer? When I took the transducer apart, it looked 100% ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer issue

Quick Reply: Speedometer issue