C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which timing set for my 77

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:00 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Which timing set for my 77

Hello guys. I am going to button up the engine for my vette and have decided to replace the timing set. Even though the PO had already replaced it with a new one, And this engine was only run for the initial cam break in (Long story) the chain already has a little stretch in it from run such a short time. It is suppose to be a Cloyes but my guess a cheap one even though its a double roller.
So my question is. Which brand and which model should I replace it with that won't stretch like this one did in such a very short time? I do mean the entire timing set of course. What would some of you recommend?
Its the original gen2 chevy 5.7 with a regular flat tappet cam set-up.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

It may not be the timing set. Were the mains line bored? ( think that' the correct term) This can change the dimension from the crank to the cam thus causing some slack in the timing chain.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 AM
persuader
Drifting

Yes they were but I don't think that this is the case here. I think that the guy just put in a cheap low budget set in. I have the receipts for every part of this engine except the timing set . I don't know I just want some recommendations on what timing set some of you recommend.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:17 AM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the style and type I just put in mine and it is all made in USA. This is the link to the one for your car.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0422&ppt=C0141
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by persuader
Yes they were but I don't think that this is the case here. I think that the guy just put in a cheap low budget set in. I have the receipts for every part of this engine except the timing set . I don't know I just want some recommendations on what timing set some of you recommend.
I think this is the one I'm running.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cl...make/chevrolet

Any Cloyes double roller set is going to be good.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

It is supposed to have slack on one side , I bet what your seeing is a normal fitting set. Put a diff one on and the feed side will be lose compared to the side that is pulling the cam gear.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM
persuader
Drifting

I am measuring about a 1/4 inch deflection on the chain. Would that not be to much? Or am I just being too ****?

Last edited by persuader; 04-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

I don't see that amount of slack as a problem. It will have some effect on the valve timing not significant unless this is a high performance thing and the timing is critical or piston to valve clearance is very close.
The teeth on those gears look good as far as wear is concerned not bent over looking or super sharp short tips.
If it was mine I'd leave it unless I was hearing strange noises or symptoms, excessive wear on the teeth or chain.
Those tabs on the top gear that bend over to keep the bolts from backing out look like they might need changing however.
Bent too many times and they break off.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 PM
persuader
Drifting

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I don't see that amount of slack as a problem. It will have some effect on the valve timing not significant unless this is a high performance thing and the timing is critical or piston to valve clearance is very close.
The teeth on those gears look good as far as wear is concerned not bent over looking or super sharp short tips.
If it was mine I'd leave it unless I was hearing strange noises or symptoms, excessive wear on the teeth or chain.
Those tabs on the top gear that bend over to keep the bolts from backing out look like they might need changing however.
Bent too many times and they break off.
The Bolts on the cam gear aren't torqued down yet since I wasn't sure if I would be replacing the timing set. The folding tab is just on there so I don't forget to replace it when I finally decide what to do. Thanks

Last edited by persuader; 04-27-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

That's a good chain yet. A new one will be like that in a few hundred miles also.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have a little slack in the chain on one side or the other depending on the crank and cam set up. The amount you show now is normal for any chain after it breaks in. The one I just replaced had 5/8" slack in it and I could flop in around in there.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 AM
persuader
Drifting

I guess I will just replace the cam gear bolts and the retainer and button her up. Thanks everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Which timing set for my 77

Quick Reply: Which timing set for my 77