C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flywheel to small

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default flywheel to small

73 vette with 350 stock engine low mileage car. I have two stock flywheel replacements luk and hays and they will not fit over end of the crank. They are .002 to small. I have confirmed that they are the correct part number for my application. The crank measures 2.484 the flywheel measures 2.482 The old flywheel I.D. measures 2.486 Why me.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Witman
73 vette with 350 stock engine low mileage car. I have two stock flywheel replacements luk and hays and they will not fit over end of the crank. They are .002 to small. I have confirmed that they are the correct part number for my application. The crank measures 2.484 the flywheel measures 2.482 The old flywheel I.D. measures 2.486 Why me.
Heat it in your oven to about 250*F, that might expand the hole enough to get the flywheel on. Do it quick so as it does not cool down and shrink back down. Might want to even measure it while hot to see if it gets big enough before trying to install it.

I had a balancer that was .004" smaller than the crank snout and that is how I got it installed without damaging the hole in the balancer.
I also chamfered the crank snout just a little with some sand paper so it would slide on without catching the inside of the hole.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a rigid hone and hone the flywheel crank hole just a bit. Check it frequently so not to remove to much. A slight press fit would be great.

Get notified of new replies

To flywheel to small

Quick Reply: flywheel to small