C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidepipe kit for ALUM heads??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Flatout496
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Factor
Great! thanks flatout!

i believe those headers come outside the car far enough where you cannot use the stock covers, right?

thanks,
Ron
Not sure what stock covers your referring to.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, Qwank it was said...but want to use the factory shields...which is where the dilemma is.

I did get great info, and am hoping to work with stahl. -which I did not get in previous threads

just asking the question differently and getting more info.

thanks!
R
I'm using the factory side exhaust covers with mine. if you want the stock mufflers, you can buy just the mufflers from sweet thunder and have the exhaust shop bend the pipes up for you. or build your own pipes like I did.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Flatout...I am referring to the exhaust covers/shields that screw in under the door...they have the alumunium look, but have a fiberglass insulation over the pipe between the alumium and pipe...and TOTALLY SAVES THE LEGS!

OK! Quank...which header did you use again?

See in Quank's pic, the flange is just outside of the frame...allowing the pipes to sit under the body and the covers to work.

the HOOKer ones have the 4 primaries bend outside of the fender, and then the turn to the flange is outside the car, where you mount the pipe to. as much as I like those, i want to use the stock look...so I would have to some how pull the flange closer to the frame and under the body for the stock covers to work.

I think I need a straight exit....vs the curved one...? I read this somewhere...
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

509 rat...Bump...on the PM...
Old 05-26-2014, 12:13 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

OK! Quank...which header did you use again?
Hedman side exhaust headers

the covers stay cool. I did 30 miles on the highway the other day at 3,000 rpm. when I got off the highway i pulled into the nearest gas station and the covers were barely warm to the touch
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

qwank...crazy...those exhaust headers specifically state NO alumimun heads...but they work wtih your ALUM heads?

thanks,
R
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

qwank...crazy...those exhaust headers specifically state NO alumimun heads...but they work wtih your ALUM heads?

thanks,
R
I have a small block with iron heads. I was just showing that you can have pipes made up to fit with the stock covers no matter what you use.

on a side note, I have a set of aluminum heads coming in today to be installed in the future. I don't think I'm going to have any issues with them but the ports are only raised 0.100''
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Quank...you should be fine...very cool!

UPDATE...talked to Judy from Stahl and yes they are closing, and of course, no they do not have any of the appropriate headers available...POOP...BUT they are changing owners and the new owner should be up and running in JULY with the current staff who hase been making these headers for 20+ years...so quality should be the same with fit...

so here I am...have to wait to hopefully get the right ones maybe by august...

still working on Stailessworks...they may do a special run...

the crapper here is the car will be done in the next 2-3 weeks, and they ONLY 2 manufacturers who make the header in raised port fashion AND big primaries are out probably til july/august...oh, the dust that is gonna collect on those BEAUTIFUL alum heads...

oh well, seems figured out, but we will see how it unfolds...
Old 05-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

BTW, if anyone is looking for STAINLESSWORKS headers they may do a special run, so PM me to get on....

willl post

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Sidepipe kit for ALUM heads??