C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Horn

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No Horn

Tried to blow the horn last night, nothing but quiet. I thought maybe bad horns but realized the horn did work with the security system. You can hear the relay click when you push the button. Whats the opinion as to where to start looking?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

What year? If the relay is clicking it's probably a bad horn, which is cheap and easy to fix. The security system has it's own horn, at least on some years. The following paper had my horn working in short order.

HORN OPERATION DIAGNOSIS - ALL C3 CORVETTES 1969 THROUGH 1982
http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/Article..._Diagnosis.pdf
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
What year? If the relay is clicking it's probably a bad horn, which is cheap and easy to fix. The security system has it's own horn, at least on some years. The following paper had my horn working in short order.

HORN OPERATION DIAGNOSIS - ALL C3 CORVETTES 1969 THROUGH 1982
http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/Article..._Diagnosis.pdf
1979, I know what year but you guy's don't
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

The older Corvette's had a separate horn for the alarm system located under the drivers rear quarter panel, I don't know if 1979 is the same or not.

But the horn is easy to check, just run a wire from the + side of the battery and touch it to where the wire plugs into the horn. If you get nothing you have a bad horn. Because you hear the relay click I'm guessing your problem is the horn or wires between relay and horn.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
The older Corvette's had a separate horn for the alarm system located under the drivers rear quarter panel, I don't know if 1979 is the same or not.

But the horn is easy to check, just run a wire from the + side of the battery and touch it to where the wire plugs into the horn. If you get nothing you have a bad horn. Because you hear the relay click I'm guessing your problem is the horn or wires between relay and horn.
OK, you are going to think this is crazy, but? A friend of my who owns a Corvette shop taught me this trick. He call this the special Corvette tool. Yes, you might have guessed it. It is a hammer. Since the horn is not working you have nothing to lose. Take the horn out, bench check it. ground the frame and plus 12V to the terminal. It the horn works it was the ground. Clean it on the horn and car and reinstall. It it does not, while it is hook up, hit it with the hammer. Give it a few decent hits. It should start working. Weak at first. Another hit once or twice until it sounds strong. Reinstall and happy motoring. It it does not work it is time to buy a new one. Nothing lost.

OK. For those who try this method. Let us know your results. Fair enough?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:20 AM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
OK, you are going to think this is crazy, but? A friend of my who owns a Corvette shop taught me this trick. He call this the special Corvette tool. Yes, you might have guessed it. It is a hammer. Since the horn is not working you have nothing to lose. Take the horn out, bench check it. ground the frame and plus 12V to the terminal. It the horn works it was the ground. Clean it on the horn and car and reinstall. It it does not, while it is hook up, hit it with the hammer. Give it a few decent hits. It should start working. Weak at first. Another hit once or twice until it sounds strong. Reinstall and happy motoring. It it does not work it is time to buy a new one. Nothing lost.

OK. For those who try this method. Let us know your results. Fair enough?
LMAO but don't use a BFH just a ball peen.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Thunder427
LMAO but don't use a BFH just a ball peen.
I see you a special Corvette tool in your tool box.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Thanks for the tips, I'll check it out. Might be time for an electric horn? OOOOOOOOOOGah
Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
c3cruzn
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no horn

I have a 1980 and had the same problem, bought all new under the horn button still wouldn't work. Replaced horn relay works great.

The alarm on mine is in the drivers front fender area

Get notified of new replies

To No Horn

Quick Reply: No Horn