C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 rear end squeaking low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 79 rear end squeaking low speeds

I have a peculiar problem on my 79. I currently have a squeak in the rear while driving at low speeds (possible at higher speeds but cant hear it). It sounds like squeak squeak squeak. It does seem to go with the speed as it does get faster as i go faster. The rear wheel assemblies have been replaced and i just replaced the half shafts thinking it was the u-joints. Still have the same problem. I also was thinking it was the brake pads so i swapped them 2 times and even another new rotor and still nothing.

I took it to a corvette maintenance shop and they thought that it was my side yolks as there was a crap load of play but that turned out to be 3 missing bolts for the diff to frame...freaking bubba strikes again

anyways...the squeak is still there and it is driving me crazy.

Anyone have any ideas?

I also have another squeak in the passenger side rear brakes. when slightly applied, they squeak but with about half peddle+ the squeak is gone.

This is so frustrating.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

have you tried installing the anti-squeek kit on the brake pads?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1965-1982.html
Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
have you tried installing the anti-squeek kit on the brake pads?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1965-1982.html
Yup i have tried these as well as trying all of the anti squeak gels/goos/grease and nothing has worked.

When i had it at the shop, they had it up in the air with wheels of and had the car running, in gear, and accelerating. no squeaks then, but they did not use the brakes.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You say the rear wheel assemblies were replaced what do you mean, the actual wheels? wheel bearings? Is there a difference in the squeak ("loud" or "slight")? Was the squeak there before the wheel assemblies were replaced? Is the squeak coming from the right rear brakes the squeal you hear? I'm suspecting rotor runout. Wheel bearings squeak every two revolutions of the wheel(s). If it is the bearings which I do not think are the source of the squeak the noise will worsen.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 08-14-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:10 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Was any work done on the parking brake? Check for any loose bits that might be rubbing against the brake drum. Also check to see if the backing plate is rubbing against the rotor.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
You say the rear wheel assemblies were replaced what do you mean, the actual wheels? wheel bearings? Is there a difference in the squeak ("loud" or "slight")? Was the squeak there before the wheel assemblies were replaced? Is the squeak coming from the right rear brakes the squeal you hear? I'm suspecting rotor runout. Wheel bearings squeak every two revolutions of the wheel(s). If it is the bearings which I do not think are the source of the squeak the noise will worsen.
The entire assembly was replaced which includes the bearings, spindle, hub, parking Parke, etc. Basically everything except the trailing arm itself.

I thought run out too. The shop I took it to said it is well within spec.

The sound is constant while driving at low speed and just gets faster as I go faster.

When I brake the squeak I hear from the right rear brake is loud and when I press harder on the brake it goes away.

I think this 2 squeaks are different
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A F
Was any work done on the parking brake? Check for any loose bits that might be rubbing against the brake drum. Also check to see if the backing plate is rubbing against the rotor.
The parking brake parts are new and came with the rear wheel bearing assemblies. Not saying they might be hosed. I did look over them and the looked ok.

The one thing I did though was used the adjuster to be in them more into the hub. I dont think the pads moved though. I wonder if something is hung up like you said.

Weird thing is...since I have been working on this, the last thing I tried was thinking that the diff fluid could be low or something not lined right. I started making some sharp circles in a parking lot in both directions and now the drivers side seems to have a small squeak when driving now too....I dont know if this is real or just the passengers side getting worse.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 rear end squeaking low speeds

Quick Reply: 79 rear end squeaking low speeds