C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Cowboylar37
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem

I just put a new starter on a 69 Corvette and now turn the ignition switch and get nothing. Battery is good and have juice to the solenoid hot larger connection. I thought I hooked the new starter the same as the old, but apparently not. Does anyone have the correct wiring diagram on the starter and solenoid. I have two larger wires on the large connection on the solenoid and a small wire on each side on the smaller connections. I tried putting the old starter on and the same thing now happens. No clicking and no turning the starter but it seems to get hot. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Cowboylar
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Make sure the car is NOT in gear and the wheels are blocked and cannot roll/Engage E-brake!

Does the alternator make a slight humming sound/when the diodes short out, voltage will feed back to the starter causing it to get hot.

Remove the large wire that goes to the from the starter up the firewall to the distribution connection or the alternator

Does the starter cool off after 10-15 minutes?

As for the two smaller wires....one wire should show 12 volts with the key turned to the ON position/The other wire should show 12 volts only when the key is turned all the way to the START position

I have no idea which one connects to which lug....

On my '68 with aftermarket HEI distributor, the purple wire (neutral-safety-switch wire) goes to one small lug, and the other wire supplies 12 volts with the key in the ON position

Sorry I couldn't provide better info.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The purple wire connects to the small terminal closest to the block.

The yellow (R terminal) connects to the terminal on the outside.

The black connects to a bellhousing bolt.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Cowboylar37
Intermediate

Default Starter installation

Thanks doorgunner: Helps a lot, I have two wires going to the connection that the Hot battery cable goes to. There is a small black wire that connects to the one bolt that holds the starter up. The one further from the engine. 350HP Automatic, Thanks again, Cowboylar
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Cowboylar37
Intermediate

Default Starter installation - Fusable Link

Thanks for all the assistance. Now I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the fusable link about 8 inches from the solenoid. That may now be the problem. What amperage would one need to be for the 69 Corvette, 350Hp engine and is there any specific way to replace them. Thanks Cowboylar
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 AM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

If it an automatic, make sure the shifter is completely in park. I actually replaced my starter and had the same problem you have. After a complete rundown of the wiring schematic I bumped the shifter forward and to my surprise it started.

Last edited by ykf7b0; 08-20-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Problem

Quick Reply: Starter Problem