C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
7D2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default timing help

First timer when it comes to timing. 72 350 with HEI distributor.

I changed plug, wires, cap and rotor. Reinstalled cap and rotor same way they came off. All plug wires installed correctly. Vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Have the black springs from Mr. Gasket kit installed on distributor. Using a digital dial back timing light I can't even get the initial or or total timing even close. When I turn the distributor clockwise to get the timing mark to come back towards the tab the idle goes way low and tries to die. Can't even see the timing mark when trying to get 36* at 2500 rpm. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 PM
learje
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to ask, but u have the timing light on the #1 plug wire?

set the dial back to zero so it shows actual timing, see what u get at idle.

let us know

lear
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM
7D2
Advanced

Originally Posted by learje
hate to ask, but u have the timing light on the #1 plug wire?

set the dial back to zero so it shows actual timing, see what u get at idle.

let us know

lear
Timing light was connected to #1 plug wire. Away from the car right now. Will check zero at idle first thing in the morning.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

#1 is the front cylinder on the driver's side.

It is possible that the harmonic balancer has slipped and the timing mark is not in the correct place.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

another trick to help seeing the line on the harmonic damper is to take some white paint/nail polish and paint the line. When setting the total timing for 36 degrees remove one of the black springs and then reinstall when set.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM
7D2
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
another trick to help seeing the line on the harmonic damper is to take some white paint/nail polish and paint the line. When setting the total timing for 36 degrees remove one of the black springs and then reinstall when set.
White paint did the trick. Can see it clearly now. Thanks to all for the help.
If I am getting 36* all in at 2700 RPM with gold springs installed do I still need to put the original springs (which were the black ones) back in after I get it set?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

You can also adjust the idle screw "in" another 1/4 to 1/2 turn so the engine will not stall while you are trying to set the timing.

Try timing the engine "by ear" at first........start the car/slowly rotate the distributor until the engine is running smoothly/slowly turn the distributor until the engine rpm slows----mark that spot on the distributor base and intake manifold with a dab of white-out or white paint/then slowly rotate the distributor in the other direction until the engine idles fast----mark that spot on the distributor base with a different color paint/then slowly turn the distributor halfway between the two different-color marks and snug it down with the hold down clamp so it won't rotate by itself.

Then use your timing light as the other members suggested to see if the harmonic balance is even close to the timing tab .........re-adjust the distributor with the timing light to the correct degrees.

(you can paint a straight line across the face of the harmonic balance----after driving the car a few times, the painted line should remain straight--if the outer balance ring is loose, the painted line will begin to appear crooked/broken).
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Fwiw.....

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
#1 is the front cylinder on the driver's side.

It is possible that the harmonic balancer has slipped and the timing mark is not in the correct place.
(FWIW, that is what happened to me on my 76)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 7D2
White paint did the trick. Can see it clearly now. Thanks to all for the help.
If I am getting 36* all in at 2700 RPM with gold springs installed do I still need to put the original springs (which were the black ones) back in after I get it set?

No, you're good.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM
7D2
Advanced

Originally Posted by briankeery
No, you're good.
Got it. Thanks everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To timing help

Quick Reply: timing help