C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximum bore wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:15 PM
scott foxwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Well Scott, that is a ridiculous statement. I understand you disagree with my decision. It's very easy to make these decisions with other people's money.

I'll trust my very experienced machinist and have moved forward with just a hone. I appreciate everyone's opinions.
That statement wasn't directed at you personally, it was more circumstantial, and unfortunately I see it all the time. I'm just using your example to raise some points for others who may be in your position may not think about. Based on the facts, it's not a ridiculous statement at all. I do this for a living as well, and one of my main concerns is that my customers get the most out of their investment. I don't so much disagree with your decision as I do the advice you're getting, so I feel obligated to speak my mind here as someone in the industry. It's not personal, so please don't insult me and tell me I'm making decisions with your money. THAT is a ridiculous statement.
You asked for opinions.
I've pretty much said what I have to say, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

A good friend that worked on motors, told me years ago that forged piston skirts can break off when they get old. That you should not re-use them, especially like my old L79 with 11 to one ratio. Lou.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by scott foxwell
That statement wasn't directed at you personally, it was more circumstantial, and unfortunately I see it all the time. I'm just using your example to raise some points for others who may be in your position may not think about. Based on the facts, it's not a ridiculous statement at all. I do this for a living as well, and one of my main concerns is that my customers get the most out of their investment. I don't so much disagree with your decision as I do the advice you're getting, so I feel obligated to speak my mind here as someone in the industry. It's not personal, so please don't insult me and tell me I'm making decisions with your money. THAT is a ridiculous statement. You asked for opinions. I've pretty much said what I have to say, so I'll leave it at that.

Scott I think you're right in most typical cases. I think I reside in what seems to be a very grey area in terms of wear. I did ask for opinions, and I do appreciate them. If you do the math in my case, a bore and piston replacement would represent a large fraction of my costs. But, if that is what is required in the near future, then my only additional cost is my labor and a new set of rings.

I don't think I REALLY insulted you, I believe you have thicker skin than what you may intimate. But, if I did offend, shoot me a PM with you're address, I'll send you some roses.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by loup68
A good friend that worked on motors, told me years ago that forged piston skirts can break off when they get old. That you should not re-use them, especially like my old L79 with 11 to one ratio. Lou.
Hi Lou,

I actually spoke extensively with Duke W. about the structure of the L79 vs. the L46 pistons. He noted that the L79 skirts were much more prone to breaking because of the oil passages. The L46 pistons were much more robust.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:07 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Just for the record i wasnt trying to insult anyone either with the "sevice limits" information i provided. It was just the at the time i had the opportunity to post and i think that info supported what the OP wanted to do. I didnt think i told him anything that was bad advice for his intended use. Yes a re-ring and brg is a somewhat marginal fix for what Pete wants but i sounds like the engine is already apart and a full rebuild is too much financial burden to support right now.

If it was me i would look for a low miles small block with a known history to drop in. Having passed up a '76 (or late '70 something) L82 with low 60K mi for 300 bucks - right in our parts for sale forum (and local to me too) - i know those deals are out there. But again its up to the OP not to take the risk of buying used and having another block sitting in the garage.

But what im saying is my information tells me the re-ring can be done and i just forwarded that info because thats what the OP requested and i had the time to do so. Maybe i stepped on someone a little doing so but its just as hard for me to let it go until we see what an argument causes. Now i dont want to retract what i said as some others do agree with it. Hey we all like to post what we have learned here and helping others gives some self-satisfaction thats for sure. But i know a lot of threads i avoid because i can see the participants and even the OP already have the mind set/fixed. Take nearly every "which cam?" thread. Most of the time the OP will choose his own cam over all those suggested just because it was his idea - no matter how awful that choice sounds to the rest of us.

OK thats my gut spill for the night.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

No egos were harmed in the creation of this thread.

I did appreciate the info Cardo. Just as with my sources, some here leaned towards overbore, others leaned towards hone and rering. I received some sound outside advice to trust my experienced machinist.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Close per OP request.

Quick Reply: Maximum bore wear