C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A wiring question on a 1982, somewhat lost

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:30 PM
My68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A wiring question on a 1982, somewhat lost

I just purchased a 1982 that is running very rich,the injectors pulse with long sprays of fuel. The idle goes up and down till it stalls within 10 second. (Way to much gas) The 1st thing I did was reseal the upper intake, The PO, known as "the butcher" removed it to paint the upper intake. I checked that the injectors click, checked the wiring for the plugs, new plugs, gas filter and 02 sensor. Was getting ready to button things up when I see coming from the harness that includes the wiring for the two TBIs, coolant temp, egr, IAC and air pump a black/white wire with no hookup on it Its been cut off. ( Near the front TBI) I can see on the wiring diagram that the other black/white wire next to this wire ( On a six pin connector) goes to ground. 1st I thought since there right next to each other and the same color and size it must also be a ground..but the diagram says it goes to speed sensor, fuel pump relay.diagnostic check conn? If it starts wouldn't that mean the wiring to the fuel pump relay is correct? I see that the check engine light doesn't come on, But there isn't anything in the engine bay that I can see this going to. Thanks for any ideas
Old 10-11-2014, 08:48 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

fuel pump may be hot wired. I would replace the coolant sensor in the front above the water pump .that may be why it is running so rich.also check to see what temp the motor is running at .your thermostat could be to cold .
Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You need to check the wiring with an ohmmeter and not just ASSUME.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To A wiring question on a 1982, somewhat lost

Quick Reply: A wiring question on a 1982, somewhat lost