C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake on my LS1 equipped '82=easy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Kanvasman-"DOes it appear that you're getting enough air over the dip in the support with the seals in place. Nice work and an inspiration. Thanks."

Yes, I'm retuning it right now because I put a stroker short block in over the winter and it appears not to be running out of air.

Mysticpete- "My engine is very close to the rad. as you can see from the photo, so it will not be exactly the same but the principal is sound. obviously this will be a MAFless tune"

It does appear to be closer to the radiator than mine, so you may have to ditch the MAF, you may still want to consider modifying the top of your radiator support though, every bit of air coming over the top will help.

Metalhead140- "I'm just curious too, why you all run the maf sensor? First upgrade everyone does here in Australia with the LS engines (very common in our Holden Commodores) is fit an exhaust, over the radiator intake, and ditch the maf and get a mafless tune? Is there an advantage to keeping it?"

I used the MAF on mine because there was room for it and I've understood that it compensates for temperature and other variables. I'm sure a good speed density tune will work fine though.

Last edited by Illegal Vette; 04-12-2016 at 07:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Illegal Vette:
Metalhead140 (04-12-2016), mysticpete (04-12-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Illegal Vette
Mock up is complete, I'm ready to take it apart and transfer the shapes to aluminum. As before the MAF is inside the box. I'm thinking about having it ceramic coated when it's done in a effort to minimize heat transfer.

Is that a Cruise control module I see fitted under the brake master cylinder, if so how is it held in there?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by mysticpete
Is that a Cruise control module I see fitted under the brake master cylinder, if so how is it held in there?

Thanks
Yes, it's a Rostra Cruise module, which is bolted to the inner fender.
The following users liked this post:
mysticpete (05-15-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Here's are updated pics of the finished airbox installed:

The following users liked this post:
mysticpete (05-15-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:56 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

I guess it's taboo to cut a hole in the hood nowadays? I had one of these on my '72 BB. Looked great and got the job done with minimal effort.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
I guess it's taboo to cut a hole in the hood nowadays? I had one of these on my '72 BB. Looked great and got the job done with minimal effort.

While this solution would be effective on a carbureted engine, the location of the throttle body on an LS or TPI / RAM equipped EFI motor would make this an eyesore.. Not that slapping a cheezy Cal Custom 'Thing' on the hood of a sleek C3 would attract many takers to begin with.

You also run into the question of what do you do for an air filter and what do you do in the rain and..........
It'd rather spend a little more effort to keep the car's gorgeous lines intact.
To each his own but some things just aren't meant to be seen IMO.
Just sayin'
Old 05-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Danny.reamer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a pretty great idea you had there, I hope you don't mind if I try it with mine! I'm thinking of building a box similar to yours, but with a panel type or flat air filter, a card type MAF and it would draw air from over the radiator support and seal to the bottom to the hood the same as yours. I've just been looking at the space available and it looks doable to me. I'm glad you guys talked me out of the fender vent idea!
I think it would work great if u did it this was and then added a scoop like this
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Danny.reamer
Instructor

Here's are updated pics of the finished airbox installed:

Originally Posted by Danny.reamer
I think it would work great if u did it this was and then added a scoop like this
I meant to add this pic as well allied with this
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Danny.reamer
I meant to add this pic as well allied with this
That's awesome! I'm thinking of painting my car next winter, maybe I'll just do that!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Danny.reamer
Instructor

That's awesome! I'm thinking of painting my car next winter, maybe I'll just do that![/quote]

Yea I'm going to do it I just haven't found the nerve to cut my hood yet
Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 PM
mysticpete
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Following on from Illegal Vettes posting I ended up going the fibreglass route, I must say it was really exciting as I had never worked with fibreglass before. Here's a few photos of my efforts...

I made a mold using perspex, cut and hot glued, I liked this idea as I was able to see how well it would fit below and above.

I used Aluminum right angle to make the seat for the filter, also acted as strengtheners

I then had to alter the design to fit in with a custom radiator shroud, also decided to double the strengh by adding more layers of glassfibre.

I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt at using this material and with a bit of care could have made an even better job of it, but I'm happy with the outcome for now.

Last edited by mysticpete; 09-28-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 PM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good! Let us know how it works out (air temps, power, etc).

I am happy with my DIY CAI also inspired by illegal's post here, really lowered air inlet temps in southern CA - great power and have driven several hundred miles since completed.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake on my LS1 equipped '82=easy!