C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Owners cold startup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:16 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 82 Owners cold startup?

As long as there is no snow on the ground I will continue to drive my 82 but the last couple of times it's been real cold out and this car is very cold blodded and should not be since it's fuel injected. If you take off it bogs and sounds like it's loading up especaially after you get off the gas. You can even hear it. After it goes into open loop then it's fine. I could let it warm up but it seems to take a good 5 minutes before the idle comes down and I get alot of black crap coming out of the tailpipes when it's in closed loop so I have to use a piece of cardboard under there. Otherwise I've got two big black puddles staining the concrete. My 02 is a heated unit and I'm not running a cat. Thought maybe that might be part of the problem???

Last edited by alconk; 12-13-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
As long as there is no snow on the ground I will continue to drive my 82 but the last couple of times it's been real cold out and this car is very cold blodded and should not be since it's fuel injected. If you take off it bogs and sounds like it's loading up especaially after you get off the gas. You can even hear it. After it goes into open loop then it's fine. I could let it warm up but it seems to take a good 5 minutes before the idle comes down and I get alot of black crap coming out of the tailpipes when it's in closed loop so I have to use a piece of cardboard under there. Otherwise I've got two big black puddles staining the concrete. My 02 is a heated unit and I'm not running a cat. Thought maybe that might be part of the problem???

My 79 L-82 with headers and no CAT runs cold as a witches chest in winter. With electric choke it can take 10 or 15 minutes to kick down out of high idle. The puddles sound more troublesome. Have you checked to see if coolant is getting in to the crankcase and mixing with the oil.... fluid out of the tailpipe is a classic symptom of this... but usually the exhaust will be white or grey in color not black if this is happening.....
Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is cold natured as well. And it really doesn't get that cold here. I'm running a 180 degree thermostat and have been thinking about going higher. The engine temp never gets above 180 anyway. I barely get out of open loop by the time I get to work most days. As for the black deposits, that's because it's running rich in open loop. You can dial back your fuel pressure and it should help with that. Could it be that our aluminum heads shed heat faster?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:57 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by greyghost79
My 79 L-82 with headers and no CAT runs cold as a witches chest in winter. With electric choke it can take 10 or 15 minutes to kick down out of high idle. The puddles sound more troublesome. Have you checked to see if coolant is getting in to the crankcase and mixing with the oil.... fluid out of the tailpipe is a classic symptom of this... but usually the exhaust will be white or grey in color not black if this is happening.....
Well what I meant is the ground is showing black deposits from running rich as Drawmain had suggested and the exhaust is white/grey in the cold.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:58 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Drawmain
Mine is cold natured as well. And it really doesn't get that cold here. I'm running a 180 degree thermostat and have been thinking about going higher. The engine temp never gets above 180 anyway. I barely get out of open loop by the time I get to work most days. As for the black deposits, that's because it's running rich in open loop. You can dial back your fuel pressure and it should help with that. Could it be that our aluminum heads shed heat faster?
Yes me too, maybe I'll switch the t-stat to a 195 this weekend.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Technically...you do not want to 'dial back' fuel pressure. If anything...you want as high as you can get up to like 14 PSI. Lower fuel pressure is NOT good.

And for the record....when you crank the engine and it is COLD...it is in OPEN LOOP....and when the O2 sensor gets hot enough...it then puts the computer in CLOSED LOOP.

SO,...a computer that goes into CLOSED LOOP...and then goes back into OPEN LOOP...and then CLOSED LOOP again and then OPEN LOOP...I would be looking at fuel pressure and exhaust leaks in front of the O2 sensor....just as a start.

DUB
Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Technically...you do not want to 'dial back' fuel pressure. If anything...you want as high as you can get up to like 14 PSI. Lower fuel pressure is NOT good.

And for the record....when you crank the engine and it is COLD...it is in OPEN LOOP....and when the O2 sensor gets hot enough...it then puts the computer in CLOSED LOOP.

SO,...a computer that goes into CLOSED LOOP...and then goes back into OPEN LOOP...and then CLOSED LOOP again and then OPEN LOOP...I would be looking at fuel pressure and exhaust leaks in front of the O2 sensor....just as a start.

DUB
Hi DUB thanks for the response. I have my fuel pressure cranked all the way up and is 14psi. (in line gauge). As far as the exhaust goes everything is tight and leak free. Yea I get the closed / open loop thing confused. Would not having a cat cause this?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I have learned that with my 82 which has true dual exhaust with a h-pipe and no cat, is to let it warm-up 3, 4, or 5 minutes after first cold start-up, and you should not have any problems.
I use to start-up wait a few seconds and drive off, sometimes stalling and running rough. Now that I wait until the idle comes down to normal, I don't have any problems at all. It makes a big difference and as most of you know, mine is a "dd".
And my high cold idle is between 1300 & 1500 r's and it comes down all by itself......and then I drive off......
Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I have learned that with my 82 which has true dual exhaust with a h-pipe and no cat, is to let it warm-up 3, 4, or 5 minutes after first cold start-up, and you should not have any problems.
I use to start-up wait a few seconds and drive off, sometimes stalling and running rough. Now that I wait until the idle comes down to normal, I don't have any problems at all. It makes a big difference and as most of you know, mine is a "dd".
And my high cold idle is between 1300 & 1500 r's and it comes down all by itself......and then I drive off......
Yep that's exactly how mine is. Is yours rich as well then when you first start it? I guess I'll just accept it. I know in the summer it doesn't do this at all because of the warmer conditions.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:17 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Yep that's exactly how mine is. Is yours rich as well then when you first start it? I guess I'll just accept it. I know in the summer it doesn't do this at all because of the warmer conditions.
I don't see any black smoke coming out or black marks on the driveway surface, only marks from the condensation out of the exhaust. But the exhaust does smell a tad on the "rich" side, but doesn't bother me at all...............Tom
Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

For whatever it is worth. I do not lower the value of a thermostat. If it came with a 195 degree that is what it gets. MAIN REASON...I still want the engine to get hot enough to aid in getting the moisture out of the oil and aid in piston ring life. I work on the newer Corvettes where the cooling fans come on at 226-228 degrees. In many cases...the cooling fans never come on when driving...and these engines have a 195 degree thermostat in them.

To each his/her own...do as you like.

And not that this matterr...I have installed heated O2 sensors and have had very good success due to the original O2 is so far back.

DUB
Old 12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Ok DUB, a 195 will go back in the weekend. Now I just need to find the correct fan switch for the electric fan. Switched to the cooler temp kit.

Thanks,
AL
Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

That's odd, my 82 is very snappy and has very good acceleration when cool. Actually too good, to the point I get nervous reving a cold motor that high. If you are loading up, the first thing I would do is bump the timing up a few degrees. These cars had their timing to far retarded from the factory. Add In timing chain stretch and hormonic balancer shift over the past few decades, you have to play with the timing and the butt dyno
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hugie82
That's odd, my 82 is very snappy and has very good acceleration when cool. Actually too good, to the point I get nervous reving a cold motor that high. If you are loading up, the first thing I would do is bump the timing up a few degrees. These cars had their timing to far retarded from the factory. Add In timing chain stretch and hormonic balancer shift over the past few decades, you have to play with the timing and the butt dyno
I'm already at 12 deg and everything is new except the bottom end.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Ok DUB, a 195 will go back in the weekend. Now I just need to find the correct fan switch for the electric fan. Switched to the cooler temp kit.

Thanks,
AL
Al,
Do you still have the factory clutch fan???

And from reading your other post...your harmonic balancer is NEW..CORRECT????

DUB
Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Al,
Do you still have the factory clutch fan???

And from reading your other post...your harmonic balancer is NEW..CORRECT????

DUB
Yes I still have the fan clutch and is new, the balancer however is not but I did buy a new one and compared the two and were identical in all positions so I sent it back to save me a hundred bucks. (not like the deer)

One question, I removed the 180 deg. t-stat to replace w/a 195 and when I popped the housing I had what looked like concentrated mud in the stat. When I removed the stat itself the intake had a slight muddy residue which makes me wonder how since I removed the engine and mounted on a stand. It was completely empty of fluids and even flushed the block with a garden hose until clear. Now the coolant that I drained was still as green as I poured it in and wondering where this came from unless it came from the heater core?? I never flushed that. So now that it's cold out I have no way of flushing the system so am I getting carried away here or is that acceptable??
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes I still have the fan clutch and is new, the balancer however is not but I did buy a new one and compared the two and were identical in all positions so I sent it back to save me a hundred bucks. (not like the deer)

One question, I removed the 180 deg. t-stat to replace w/a 195 and when I popped the housing I had what looked like concentrated mud in the stat. When I removed the stat itself the intake had a slight muddy residue which makes me wonder how since I removed the engine and mounted on a stand. It was completely empty of fluids and even flushed the block with a garden hose until clear. Now the coolant that I drained was still as green as I poured it in and wondering where this came from unless it came from the heater core?? I never flushed that. So now that it's cold out I have no way of flushing the system so am I getting carried away here or is that acceptable??
Thanks for the reply to my questions.

SO the balancer groove where it would go onto the woodruff key in the crank and the timing notch were BOTH the same. GREAT!

I KNOW you wrote the engine was COMPLETELY emptied of all fluids....but I still have to ask. Did you actually remove the block drain plugs on both sides of the engine????

Did you do anything with the radiator????

What did this residue feel like. Was it kinda 'jelly-like' or more like a blob of grease.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Owners cold startup?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for the reply to my questions.

SO the balancer groove where it would go onto the woodruff key in the crank and the timing notch were BOTH the same. GREAT!

I KNOW you wrote the engine was COMPLETELY emptied of all fluids....but I still have to ask. Did you actually remove the block drain plugs on both sides of the engine????

Did you do anything with the radiator????

What did this residue feel like. Was it kinda 'jelly-like' or more like a blob of grease.

DUB
Yes I removed the drain plugs on both sides but not the freeze plugs and the radiator is about a year old aluminum. I didn't flush it cause it was nice and green even to the end.

The residue was neither like you describe it just looked like very dirty coolant and felt like coolant.

I went ahead and wiped everything clean that I could get to and buttoned it up. I must have an air pocket cause the temp was going up and down on my drive today. Nothing bad though, it would go above 200 then back down to around 180. I never checked it when I came home due to it being hot and had to leave for work. I will check the level shortly.

Maybe it's the heater core since I never did flush it and if it had gunk in there then it would contaminate the rest of the system when started up. I'll wait till spring and do a complete coolant flush with the Prestone Flush product. Not sure what the life expectancy of a heater core is but my car has 95K miles and I don't know if it's original or not?? It still produces a great deal of heat though.

AL
Old 12-18-2014, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

If your radiator cap is a 15 PSI CLOSED SYSTEM cap...and the hose from under the radiator cap that goes to your coolant overflow reservoir is good ....and you have coolant mix in the reservoir...IF the system builds up pressure....when it cools down..it will expel air and then draw in coolant to get the 'possible' air pocket to get out. This is why I drill a very small hole in the thermostat so the air can get out when filling up the system and avoid the 'air pocket' issue.

DUB
Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
If your radiator cap is a 15 PSI CLOSED SYSTEM cap...and the hose from under the radiator cap that goes to your coolant overflow reservoir is good ....and you have coolant mix in the reservoir...IF the system builds up pressure....when it cools down..it will expel air and then draw in coolant to get the 'possible' air pocket to get out. This is why I drill a very small hole in the thermostat so the air can get out when filling up the system and avoid the 'air pocket' issue.

DUB
Well Dub I replaced my 180 deg stat with a 195 and the temp gauge would go up to 210-220 then drop down to 175 and do that over and over. So thinking I had a defective stat I bought another one and that one is doing the same thing as well. Have any idea what's going on? The 180 deg stat did not do that..

Quick Reply: 82 Owners cold startup?