C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 04:26 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences

Has anyone had any experience with the performance of any of these types of vinyl coverings:

SEM vinyl dye
Plastikote vinyl paint
Molecubond Vinyl dye
Mid-America dye
Ecklers dye

I am changing my 82 from tan to black interior and have so far used the black Plastikote on the bird cage front and rear pillars, plastic seat bottoms and backs and the rear window area plastic. These came out looking great. This stuff went on beautiful.

I have used the black Molecubond on my newer vinyl seats and after 4 coats it seems to be working pretty good. It came out a little more flat than I wanted it but overall looks OK

I am not sure about the long term wear of this stuff even though it says a "permanent" bond.

If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know

thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 05:22 PM
72greg
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Re: Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences (MN-Brent)

Yesterday I bought some of the Plasticoat to redo my rear panels/vinyl.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. I used 3M adhesive remover with a nylon brush and lots of paper towels to clean up and then shot it immediately.

My neighbor used to work in a parts distributor and said that the SEM's was what all the specialty resto shops bought from him, but, he didn't have any personal experience with it,...
Old 08-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences (MN-Brent)

Hi Brent:
Sorry, I haven't used any of the above listed products. I have used corvette america brand dye (from Zip) with excelent results. With any of these dyes, prep is the key.
Where can I find SEM brand?? I'm going to change dark saddle to black in my new 72, and would like to get some. Thanks and Good Luck :cheers:
Eddie
Old 08-18-2002, 06:09 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences (Silvr77)

I've used the SEM for both the interior and carpet. Very good results, wears very well, though if you use it on the seats (I did), you'll need to touch it up once in a while (wears off). Just make sure everything is so clean it squeaks before you shoot.

I ordered the SEM through a local store that sells automotive paint.

JB

[Modified by JB, 4:10 PM 8/18/2002]
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 AM
aleutianblue
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid America Vinyl Dye

I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here but perhaps someone else can benefit from my experience. I recommend against using Mid-America Vinyl/Plastic dye for plastic parts.

Their dye (Part #601301 Corvette Red) is not suitable for covering blemishes on plastic parts. I had several interior plastic parts where the original red color had been scraped or worn down to the black undersurface. I spent several hours and $48 on this product because it is recommended by Mid-America for plastic. However, after 8 coats carefully applied following the directions there is no detectable change in the black blemishes.

I spent about 10 minutes trying to upload photos here to illustrate the issue but apparently I need a "URL" address. I have no idea . . .

Additionally, Mid-America's website offered to reduce the price per can from $12.99 to $9.99 if two or more cans were purchased. I ordered four but noticed the price was not reduced in my shopping cart at checkout. I called Mid-America and talked to Chuck. He was one of those resentful I-hate-working-here types - another minus. He said the price would be reduced manually when the order was filled. It was not.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:19 PM
LeMans_Blue_69
Heel & Toe

Aleutianblue....good info. I am currently using Corvette America's dye (bright blue). Very happy with it. My interior panels are in great shape for a 45 y.o. car and the dye matches up real well with the original color. Had some scratches and worn spots on the rear panels and lower window trim. The dye covered very well. I even have some pre-painted pieces from C.A. and those are dead on to the dye color. I would not go anywhere else.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I have had nothing but exceptional results when using SEM ColorCoat liquid [vinyl dye] when sprayed onto interior parts. If you get the parts squeeky-clean (get rid of the "protectants" that you've slopped on them for years ), and shoot two, light/covering coats of SEM ColorCoat, you can renew your interior to the same color...or change from black to white, if you want...with no problem.

These other plastic-paint things...I have no idea and don't care to know about them...because I know what works, that it's easy to do (almost foolproof), inexpensive [one pint of SEM liquid dye and 1 Pre-val bottle sprayer and 2-3 extra gas cartridges will do most of your interior...how many spray-bomb cans do you need to do that? [half-dozen or more]
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You appear to be technically challenged and that could be affecting your paint results. (I would have left the whole "I don't know how to post pictures" thing out of the post) Please carefully examine your paint process before blaming the paint.

Make sure you have cleaned the surface real good withl a painting surface prep cleaner or alcohol. Get in the cracked/blemished real well. If there is any old armor all in there no paint will stick to it.

Point is... You should be covering the material. It may not look perfect or last forever depending on the quality of the paint but it should cover.

Matt

P.S. just start a new thread next time.... There is no value in an 11 year old thread.

Originally Posted by aleutianblue
I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here but perhaps someone else can benefit from my experience. I recommend against using Mid-America Vinyl/Plastic dye for plastic parts.

Their dye (Part #601301 Corvette Red) is not suitable for covering blemishes on plastic parts. I had several interior plastic parts where the original red color had been scraped or worn down to the black undersurface. I spent several hours and $48 on this product because it is recommended by Mid-America for plastic. However, after 8 coats carefully applied following the directions there is no detectable change in the black blemishes.

I spent about 10 minutes trying to upload photos here to illustrate the issue but apparently I need a "URL" address. I have no idea . . .

Additionally, Mid-America's website offered to reduce the price per can from $12.99 to $9.99 if two or more cans were purchased. I ordered four but noticed the price was not reduced in my shopping cart at checkout. I called Mid-America and talked to Chuck. He was one of those resentful I-hate-working-here types - another minus. He said the price would be reduced manually when the order was filled. It was not.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention.... Welcome to the forum.

Matt
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 AM
vettestu
Instructor

Default Sem

Used this on just about every interior surface. Quick, tough and long lasting and forgiving. Rattle cans are $13 at auto paint suppliers.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

I used VHT vinyl dye on my Camaro worked great [URL=http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/427tripower/media/SCAN0020_zps2b43a5c0.jpg.html][/URL
Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 693 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I picked up an optional factory cup holder assembly to install into my F150 which the original owner didn't order. I used the SEM vinyl paint to match my interior. Followed their instructions to the letter and it turned out great. As mentioned above, the degreasing is very important. It has held up great over the years considering the use it gets.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I've used both the SEM dyes as well as the mid America, both with excellent results. As others have said, preps is vital for good results. I personally used paper towels and lots of rubbing alcohol. It's cheap and does the job. I also use this on vinyl parts

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...ed=0CFgQ8wIwAw

It's expensive and does the job

If what you're doing now isn't working, I would guess that it's a prep issue. If its a finish issue, I have notced that the finish is temperature sensitive.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

SEM [liquid] vinyl dye is very thin...almost water-like...but has a very dense pigment content. Thus, it covers well but does NOT fill the surface grain of the material you are shooting. As a result, you can put MANY coats of SEM dye on a surface without changing the surface texture.

If the other 'stuff' you are using comes out thicker...like a spray paint product...too many coats will fill the surface grain. It will also likely chip and peel because of the "layering" effect of a thicker fluid.

Just want you to know some of the issues involved.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM
aleutianblue
2nd Gear

Default Response to Matt Quickcat's 9-7-13 reply.

Matt -

You appear to lead a miserable life and enjoy taking it out on hapless strangers on the internet. I stopped uploading to forums sometime ago exactly because of trolls like you. I'm guessing there are many people like me with helpful experiences that refuse to post here because there are too many people like you.

I prepped the surface as described. I've painted for several years without problems. Do you work for Mid-America? Is it surprising to you that a company out there might sell a product that doesn't work?

Why not resurrect an 11 year old thread? There would be some bore just like you telling me I did it wrong if I started a new thread on an existing topic. Clearly, from the number of subsequent responses, it is the right place to post.

"Welcome to the forum"? Really? I'd say not weloming in the least - and a poor reflection not just on the forum but also corvette owners.

Put down the beer and step away from the keyboard.

PS - I won't be reading your response.

Originally Posted by quickcat
You appear to be technically challenged and that could be affecting your paint results. (I would have left the whole "I don't know how to post pictures" thing out of the post) Please carefully examine your paint process before blaming the paint.

Make sure you have cleaned the surface real good withl a painting surface prep cleaner or alcohol. Get in the cracked/blemished real well. If there is any old armor all in there no paint will stick to it.

Point is... You should be covering the material. It may not look perfect or last forever depending on the quality of the paint but it should cover.

Matt

P.S. just start a new thread next time.... There is no value in an 11 year old thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences

Quick Reply: Vinyl Dye/Paint experiences