C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing speedo driven gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Replacing speedo driven gear

I think I'd like to swap my blue 20 tooth speedo gear for a brown 18 tooth, seeing that I'm reading about 1.12 miles on the speedo for every mile I drive. Also I'm not really sure where to look on the tranny to change it. I have a Borg-Warner super T-10 4 speed on a '74 BB. Thanks for any guidance on this!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I think I'd like to swap my blue 20 tooth speedo gear for a brown 18 tooth, seeing that I'm reading about 1.12 miles on the speedo for every mile I drive. Also I'm not really sure where to look on the tranny to change it. I have a Borg-Warner super T-10 4 speed on a '74 BB. Thanks for any guidance on this!
Ok I see where that hooks into the tranny on the picture someone posted on another thread.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

O.K. So......going to LESS teeth on the DRIVEN gear "slows the odometer down"?
I ask because my speedometer registers 90 mph when I'm actually doing 70 mph.

I'm wondering if I should go with more teeth or less teeth on the DRIVE gear that is located on the tailshaft, since there is such a large difference in actual speed/speedometer speed?

A/T shown (same principle though)......

Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 AM
CiCiC3
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
O.K. So......going to LESS teeth on the DRIVEN gear "slows the odometer down"?
I ask because my speedometer registers 90 mph when I'm actually doing 70 mph.

I'm wondering if I should go with more teeth or less teeth on the DRIVE gear that is located on the tailshaft, since there is such a large difference in actual speed/speedometer speed?

A/T shown (same principle though)......

Well no maybe I should reverse that idea and go with more teeth to slow it down. Does that make better sense? Maybe that's it. 22 teeth would be a green I believe.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Well no maybe I should reverse that idea and go with more teeth to slow it down. Does that make better sense? Maybe that's it. 22 teeth would be a green I believe.
I have brain-lock....LOL! I understand larger diameter=more teeth=less rpm at connector..........BUT...does the DRIVE gear increase in diameter when more teeth are added---or.....are the teeth just spaced closer together in order to change the driven gear rpm?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I have brain-lock....LOL! I understand larger diameter=more teeth=less rpm at connector..........BUT...does the DRIVE gear increase in diameter when more teeth are added---or.....are the teeth just spaced closer together in order to change the driven gear rpm?

The drive gear stays the same diameter, just more or less teeth. And yes, more teeth on the driven gear slows the speedometer. However, be careful as a drive gear will only accept a limited number of different driven gear teeth before you also have to change the gear to more or less teeth. If you stay within a small range of number of teeth you shouldn't have any problem. If you try to correct a large problem, the drive and driven gears will not sync.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing speedo driven gear

Quick Reply: Replacing speedo driven gear