C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LGT-700 trans bracket fit problem (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Default LGT-700 trans bracket fit problem (pics)

I posted this on the C3 forum because some here may be able to help.
I have a '65 and although the tranny brackets are different the problem may be similar.

I have installed the tranny but have run into a problem with the bracket.

The flat part with the oblong slots does not clear the back of the transmission when I try and install it.

I have removed the crossmember and attached the bracket to it and then tried to put it up there but to no avail. Same problem.

It seems like the plate has to be reversed and re-welded so the slots line up with the transmission mount. When it is rewelded some length must be cut off the front to let it clear the tranny. The robustness of the transmission at the back has caused this bracket not to fit properly.
Another modification that may have to be created is the height of the bracket. It has to be shortened where the brackek attaches at the top of the cross-member with the 2 bolts and nuts.

I have called a number of places for help - Legend, Bowler, Jody's and Corvettes of Auburn in Seattle - they have all been helpful but Dan from Cor. of Aub. had mentioned the name of a fellow that had this problem.
His name was Ron - Dan had said he was a member of the Cor. Forum and had overcome this problem.
So Ron if your out there let me know.

Other info I have gathered on the LGT-700 transmission: recently the tranny mount has been move 1/4" to center to help clear the transmission mount on one side so the mount does not have to be trimmed. Someone is working on modifying the mounting bracket but that won't be ready for a couple of months or longer.

If anyone out there can help or give advice on this I would appreciate it.

Other than this the installation with the removeable cross-member was fairly easy. My tunnel insulation didn't even have to come out.
My car is a BB and with 5 of my pals we had it in less than 3/4 an hour.
Mind you it was a little like surgery near the end. To make it slide in we had to jack the back of the tranny up level the turn the nut on the engine tilter so the engine moved backwards far enough to drop down on the mounting horns. This was the last 5 inches of backward movement to make it fall into place.

65-StingRay
Wayne

Quick Reply: LGT-700 trans bracket fit problem (pics)