C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat cover install help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM
LRB
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Seat cover install help needed

I am in the process of putting new Corvette America seat covers and new foam on the seats for my 75 convertible and have run into some issues. I got the bottoms done and they look great, but I have run into a snag with the backs.

The clips that came in my install kit appear to be to short.(see picture) I have watched the video many, many times and they say use the 3/4" clips for the backs, but all my clips are 1/2" and I have broken 4 of them trying to pull them through to connect to the corragated wire.

Is it possible I got the wrong clips in my kit. The clips they should on the video look a lot thicker than what I got.

Thoughts...
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Sacred Steel
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did my 76 seats and had the same kit with the same clips. I even bought the special tool for those clips and the clips kept breaking because they were just too small for the thick foam so I ditched the clips and did the zip tie (tie wrap) method and they came out awesome. I used good quality heavy duty zip ties and I'm not the least bit worried about them breaking.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho....

I just installed seat covers on my 76, wow what a PITA job. Like the zip tie method, good to know.

I wish I had a clip like you show to compare, but reused all of mine and used a paper clip for the one that broke.

I think your clip looks shorter than the ones I got out of my 76, I would call your vendor that you got these from and ask what size you are supposed to have. I also thought my 76 clips pulled the cover pretty tight plus I reused my foam which looked good. I think I saw where if you use new foam, some trim it with a carving knife.

Hope this might help.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
LRB
Instructor

[QUOTE=Sacred Steel;1589058497]I just did my 76 seats and had the same kit with the same clips. I even bought the special tool for those clips and the clips kept breaking because they were just too small for the thick foam so I ditched the clips and did the zip tie (tie wrap) method and they came out awesome. I used good quality heavy duty zip ties and I'm not the least bit worried about them breaking.

Thanks SS, your seats look great. I am going to see the dealer that I purchased the CA seats, foam and install kit from and we are going to see what clips they have in other kits. I may end up using the zip tie idea if I can not find some longer clips.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Zip tie sound interesting, but if you want another option, get regular hog rings. That's what they are called, and of course, ther's a special tool for that. But the rings are cheap and so is the tool. Those are what most upholsterers use and they are virtually impossible to break.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:28 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by 20mercury
I just installed seat covers on my 76, wow what a PITA job. Like the zip tie method, good to know.

I wish I had a clip like you show to compare, but reused all of mine and used a paper clip for the one that broke.

I think your clip looks shorter than the ones I got out of my 76, I would call your vendor that you got these from and ask what size you are supposed to have. I also thought my 76 clips pulled the cover pretty tight plus I reused my foam which looked good. I think I saw where if you use new foam, some trim it with a carving knife.

Hope this might help.
Good info 20mercury. The bottoms went together just like the video that Corvette America has, but the backs are giving me $e!!. I am checking with my vendor tomorrow. I would like to try to not cut the foam. If push comes to shove, I will use the zip tie idea.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
LRB
Instructor

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Zip tie sound interesting, but if you want another option, get regular hog rings. That's what they are called, and of course, ther's a special tool for that. But the rings are cheap and so is the tool. Those are what most upholsterers use and they are virtually impossible to break.

kanvasman, hog rings would not be long enough to connect the two parts through the foam. Using hog rings in other areas of the seat installation.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Sacred Steel
Racer

Originally Posted by kanvasman
You cant use hog rings in place of these clips. these clips attach the cover to the foam and hog rings are used to attach the covered foam to the seat frames.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
Roozstr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done doing my seats with the Corvette America covers, foam and kit. Had the same scenario. Broke a couple before I figured it out. Watch the Video and use the same pull and twist method he does. I ended using a couple of the ones from the old seat cover. They are about the same size. Not much difference.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sacred Steel
I just did my 76 seats and had the same kit with the same clips. I even bought the special tool for those clips and the clips kept breaking because they were just too small for the thick foam so I ditched the clips and did the zip tie (tie wrap) method and they came out awesome. I used good quality heavy duty zip ties and I'm not the least bit worried about them breaking.
Looks like a 68/69 Seat, not 76 ?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 AM
Sacred Steel
Racer

Originally Posted by Roma
Looks like a 68/69 Seat, not 76 ?
It's a 76.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

You are right, sorry . Never thought they change the style back to 68/69 look after 74.

Thanks

Frank
Old 06-05-2016, 11:04 AM
firstvett69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat back clips to short or broke

Hi All,
I also am in the process of doing my 70 seats. Check out the Video, I found that with the Video replacing the Foam and covers was rather easy, Just take you Time. Now the Backs for the 70 were a little Harder, instead of using the Clips to attach the Foam to the Cover use heavy duty Tie Straps. In the Video the Installer said use 3/4" s/j clips, my 70 clips measure 1/2", I felt that if I did use the 1/2" clips it would eventually pull through the Foam or rip the Covers. I went to a well known upholstery shop and all I did was show the owner the Clip, His comment was Oh thats a 69, 70 Corvette seat Back Clip, Dont use them use tie straps or Stainless wire. He said he has been doing this for 42 years and has Never had a come back because of a broken Tie Strap. He also stated that for the Last 10 years he has only used Tie Straps on all seat covers that required any kind of clip used in this situation.
Just thought I would let you all know what I did, YEP TIE STRAPS.
My Seats look GREAT, In case you are wondering The Leather Like Covers are also Great, I was not disappointed in the workmanship.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by LRB
I am in the process of putting new Corvette America seat covers and new foam on the seats for my 75 convertible and have run into some issues. I got the bottoms done and they look great, but I have run into a snag with the backs.

The clips that came in my install kit appear to be to short.(see picture) I have watched the video many, many times and they say use the 3/4" clips for the backs, but all my clips are 1/2" and I have broken 4 of them trying to pull them through to connect to the corragated wire.

Is it possible I got the wrong clips in my kit. The clips they should on the video look a lot thicker than what I got.

Thoughts...
It's just a goof in the video.. the clips are 9/16" and will work just fine. You just have to take your time and the tool is part of the key to installing these clips properly.

I have a tool we made years ago and when I twist it it forces open the clip so you can flip it over the zig zag... I'm pretty sure the tool sold today works the same way but if you pull the clips just a fraction too hard they will break. I do NOT use Tie or zip straps... I use the factory install kit every time. I've installed 4 sets of covers ranging from 1968, 1972 1972 and 1977 in the last week.. and all turned out perfect with the supplied installation kit. Pictures can be found on our facebook page of these installations.

IMHO,

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-05-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cover install help needed

Quick Reply: Seat cover install help needed