C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual electric 11" fan question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
Coming back to this : I ran the engine up to temp. As I said I run a 195°F thermostat.

Before I knock myself in the head for installing the fans : I see the engine cycling between 195 and 205°F. The fans kick in and seem to drop the temps but not really fast and it seems to stay around 198°F.
Temp sensor is in the head.

Is this a sign the fans are not strong/big enough ?
No, It is a function of the temp of your thermostat. A 195* thermostat is going to hang around that temp or higher when warm out, especially at idle not moving. It's not perfectly 195* it more like 195ish for the thermostat.
If you want it cooler put in a 180* thermostat.
As outside air temps rise the temp difference between your thermostat and the temp it will hold will increase. What temp it stops rising at will indicate how effecient the system as a whole is. Many influences besides the power of the fans can affect the ultimate temp it will see. The fans are just part of that equation.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 04-18-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Here's my "nice-ish" schematic from when I built my last electric fan setup:

I was running a two speed single fan with relays and two temp sensors, I had idiot lights in the cockpit so I could see which speed was on,

I am changing to dual fans
I am digging your wiring schem, I can see lots of reasons this way is better than one fan coming on full then the other coming on full but can you tell me how to wire in my idiot lights so I can know if it's on off, low or high, and what's better to use led or standard bulbs?

Another question,
On my temp sensors/switches, you have them closing a ground,
Low stays closed ( green 86 ) when high closes curcuit? ( blue 86 ) ?

Many thanks!

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-19-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: worded off
Old 04-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Sniper4x4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my 99 GMC Suburban for my current 75 Corvette
Here is another option, in the suburban I had added a Flex-a-lite dual electric fan setup with Variable Speed Controller, it worked real good it would even kick on the fans once I turned on A/C
I believe you can order the variable Speed controller separately

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/pdf_inst.../290-99790.pdf

I'm planning to upgrade to dual electric fans, just it further down on my wish list
Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sniper4x4
I traded my 99 GMC Suburban for my current 75 Corvette
Here is another option, in the suburban I had added a Flex-a-lite dual electric fan setup with Variable Speed Controller, it worked real good it would even kick on the fans once I turned on A/C
I believe you can order the variable Speed controller separately

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/pdf_inst.../290-99790.pdf

I'm planning to upgrade to dual electric fans, just it further down on my wish list
Several are on ebay but all over 100...I do not like the type that use capillary for the temp sender but it appears yours is the better one that uses wires for an electronic temp sender,

It appears from the PDF you posted it is still a two stage idea do they make one that isn't staged but is a smooth curve of adding more and more fall until 100% on?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
can you tell me how to wire in my idiot lights so I can know if it's on off, low or high, and what's better to use led or standard bulbs?

Another question,
On my temp sensors/switches, you have them closing a ground,
Low stays closed ( green 86 ) when high closes curcuit? ( blue 86 ) ?

Many thanks!
Hey Bats,

Sorry, I didn't see your response in this thread. For the idiot lights, you could run an LED that grounds through the temperature switch, one for the green wire and one for the blue wire.

The temperature switch that I used (I think it's from a VW Golf) keeps low closed (green) when high closes. That means that you will have no LEDs on for off, one on for low and both on for high.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
Hey Bats,

Sorry, I didn't see your response in this thread. For the idiot lights, you could run an LED that grounds through the temperature switch, one for the green wire and one for the blue wire.

The temperature switch that I used (I think it's from a VW Golf) keeps low closed (green) when high closes. That means that you will have no LEDs on for off, one on for low and both on for high.

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks...I was pretty beat last night mind wasnt there, looking at the diagram low has to stay closed for m1 to keep running on high,

So would you have a guess how many volts get to the fans in series as parallal would be full volts.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Thanks...I was pretty beat last night mind wasnt there, looking at the diagram low has to stay closed for m1 to keep running on high,

So would you have a guess how many volts get to the fans in series as parallal would be full volts.
6 volts per fan in series, 12 volts per fan in parallel.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:52 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If you want to see how GM runs fans in series/parallel w 3 relays...

Go to www.shbox.com and look up wiring diagram for a 96 Camaro. Works great, low speed saves amps and lets fans last a lot longer!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikem350
If you want to see how GM runs fans in series/parallel w 3 relays...

Go to www.shbox.com and look up wiring diagram for a 96 Camaro. Works great, low speed saves amps and lets fans last a lot longer!
so explain how its better different than the one bb posted...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
A couple of thoughts from my side to this : since I use efi, I can have the ecu control the relays in the sense that I could switch the series fan on say at 180°F and have them run parallel at 200°F. Will need 2 adc outputs for that though. Temperature settings can be changed all the time with just connecting up a laptop and putting in a number.
Personally I have an iox board that will let me even control my oil cooler fan and accusump by the ecu.

I'm not convinced that the way the radiator shroud is angled would help much with air cooling engine parts. The air would be directly mostly at the bottom and below the engine.
In this respect the factory shroud is better. I do not think that it was designed like that for that reason however.
What he said. I set mine up to run BOTH fans on low speed as well as BOTH fans on high speed. First, I like the fact that I can draw air evenly through the entire area area of the shrouded fans/radiator instead of just relying on one fan on low temp engine requirements drawing air through only one side of the radiator on low speed. Using the LS PCM, I can set independent on and off times on BOTH high and low speeds as well as incorporate other cool stuff like WOT control and rpm specific PCM controlled AC compressor cut off functions.

Last edited by Patro46; 04-20-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Mentioned in this thread was the older capillary temp switch setup....

years ago, I got hold of an oven temp switch off a household range....

wired it up and tweeked the calibration screw that was paint stained....so to cut on/off when needed....

'70 Lemans/GTO convertible, as I recall, worked like a charm....OH, put the temp sensor in the rad hose, under the clamp at the rad...and sealed it with RTV Black from parts house Permatex.....

Quick Reply: Dual electric 11" fan question