C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 Engine Rebuild Questons

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:48 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I ALWAYS recommend a hydraulic roller but in this case your building your dads engine, it is an L88 I would go with the earlier recommendation. It will be right. Big blocks have heavy valvetrains. The hydraulic roller lifters are really heavy, Lifter roller failures are common, more so on engines you wind. The flat tappet I linked has asymmetrical lobes, sits the valve down slow and a tight lash .010 and .012. With EDM lifters it will be durable if it is built right and Broken in right. If your sold on a hydraulic roller
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...550k/overview/
Is closest sound you will get. It won't pull 7000 plus RPM but it will have that nasty vicious idle and the powerband starts at 2500. You have to watch valve to piston clearance on those so I linked a comparably shorter lift and a street style ramp. Others may have a different recommendation. Good luck, it will be awesome!
Old 11-18-2017, 07:50 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

what if he went with solid rollers?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:05 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by derekderek
what if he went with solid rollers?
He could go solid roller. Valvetrain weight is always an issue on a high reving big block. Solid or hydraulic roller lifters compound the problem. If I was going roller with a fast ramp on a big block Red Zone lifters, titanium retainers, lightweight high end valves, Beehive springs, shaft rockers and a rev kit are all things that will help it live. All cost money. You can get the cam nitride and parkerized, there are billet cores and tool steel lifters, bigger roller wheels, larger bore lifters, all cost money. Depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:39 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
He could go solid roller. Valvetrain weight is always an issue on a high reving big block. Solid or hydraulic roller lifters compound the problem. If I was going roller with a fast ramp on a big block Red Zone lifters, titanium retainers, lightweight high end valves, Beehive springs, shaft rockers and a rev kit are all things that will help it live. All cost money. You can get the cam nitride and parkerized, there are billet cores and tool steel lifters, bigger roller wheels, larger bore lifters, all cost money. Depends on how deep your pockets are.
So hopefully this build will be wrapped up very soon. We went with the Lunati roller cam that was recommended. The builder just called and wants to run Harland Sharp rocker roller arms and a set of stud girdles. The concern will be having to run taller valve covers to fit everything under. I think this will cause issues with the power brake booster.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
So hopefully this build will be wrapped up very soon. We went with the Lunati roller cam that was recommended. The builder just called and wants to run Harland Sharp rocker roller arms and a set of stud girdles. The concern will be having to run taller valve covers to fit everything under. I think this will cause issues with the power brake booster.

www.cfrperformance.com

http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_.../hz-9504-c.htm

They have stock appearing valve covers that are 3/4" taller, yet still have the notched corner for brake booster clearance.

These literally look exactly like stock valve covers, yet they are a little taller.

I've ran them for years to clear full roller rockers and no need for doubling up gaskets etc.

Last edited by ajrothm; 02-27-2018 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chazde3 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
www.cfrperformance.com

http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_.../hz-9504-c.htm

They have stock appearing valve covers that are 3/4" taller, yet still have the notched corner for brake booster clearance.

These literally look exactly like stock valve covers, yet they are a little taller.

I've ran them for years to clear full roller rockers and no need for doubling up gaskets etc.
Those are one of the valve covers I came across when looking this up. I wasn't sure if the extra .75in would give me enough clearance for roller rockers and girdles. I also was thinking about using the 1.125in aluminum spacers that are available out there. I already have a set of the stock style valve covers with the recessed corner for the brake booster. I just wasn't sure if everything will fit or not. I'd hate to build up something that can't be shoehorned in under the brake booster. I would like to avoid the extra cost of a hydroboost setup at the moment if that would be necessary to fit the engine in.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I did my entire hydoboost brake system for less than 200 bucks. Most expensive part was having the local hydraulics place make me up some hoses. I like the feel of it much better then the original as well.

Quick Reply: L88 Engine Rebuild Questons