C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
oldchev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alternator Mounting

I have just installed new Hooker Headers. i have just put my alternator back in place using a new alternator mounting bracket that I also bought along with the headers. Bracketry is actually two pieces for the bottom pivot mounting. One piece is a yoke shaped piece that goes on the two forward header bolts on the left side and the other piece is an adjustable piece that bolts to that and then also to the underside of the alternator.
My problem is that this arrangement appears to mount the alternator too high. Right now I have my hood off but I fear that the alternator is too high using these brackets. Can anyone tell me if these brackets from Hooker Headers are commonly used in a C3. the alternator is higher than my previous arrangement. Thanks, Dave.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:35 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I, and many others have Hooker headers on our C3s. I use the stock '71-'72 alternator bracket. This mounts on the head. Also use the "arm" adjuster brace. This gives plenty of room, and no need for any special header brackets. (This is for small block, you didn't mention if yours was also.)

This one....
http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50g&ukey=10793
Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 PM
oldchev
Instructor

[QUOTE=C3 Stroker;1589642786]I, and many others have Hooker headers on our C3s. I use the stock '71-'72 alternator bracket. This mounts on the head. Also use the "arm" adjuster brace. This gives plenty of room, and no need for any special header brackets. (This is for small block, you didn't mention if yours was also.)

Thanks Stroker, Mine is a 1970, that I have owned and driven for over 30 years. But when I bought is it had a very cheap set of headers on it. Shortly after I bought it I put a pair of Alumi Coated Black Jack Headers on it which have been on it for these 30 years. They have been trouble free. But I have never had an OEM alternator bracket I never really figured out which on belonged on my engine. 350/350. Had some cheap home made deal that was on the car. It worked but sometimes I had squealing problelms on hard excelleration. I understood that the original OEM bracket for the 1970 bolted to the end of the original exhaust manifold. Which I have never had. so now I want to get something that is a better set up without getting into billet stuff. The one you linked to does look like it would work. I set up the hooker one today and if it clears the hood it is a very substantial set up. But if it doesn't clear the hood then I will look into the one you show. thanks again. Dave.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:23 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchev
I have just installed new Hooker Headers. i have just put my alternator back in place using a new alternator mounting bracket that I also bought along with the headers. Bracketry is actually two pieces for the bottom pivot mounting. One piece is a yoke shaped piece that goes on the two forward header bolts on the left side and the other piece is an adjustable piece that bolts to that and then also to the underside of the alternator.
My problem is that this arrangement appears to mount the alternator too high. Right now I have my hood off but I fear that the alternator is too high using these brackets. Can anyone tell me if these brackets from Hooker Headers are commonly used in a C3. the alternator is higher than my previous arrangement. Thanks, Dave.

You could try a Header Power Bracket. You can also use it without the spacer to draw the alternator closer to the centerline of the car where the hood sits a bit higher. You can get them for either the left or right side that use the #1/#2 or #1/#3 bolt holes.

The spacers are available in three styles in both satin and polished finish.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-17-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the stock one not work with Hook Headers? It works with my Hedmens.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 AM
oldchev
Instructor

I have never had a stock bracket, so I don't know which one belongs or will fit. the one Stroker linked to does look like it would work but If the one I have from Hooker will fit I will use it instead of shelling out even more money. Todalin, the one you show looks to be configured just like the Hooker one. It positions the alt right above the Header tube and bolts on just like that. Thanks, Dave.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchev
I have never had a stock bracket, so I don't know which one belongs or will fit. the one Stroker linked to does look like it would work but If the one I have from Hooker will fit I will use it instead of shelling out even more money. Todalin, the one you show looks to be configured just like the Hooker one. It positions the alt right above the Header tube and bolts on just like that. Thanks, Dave.
Here are some pics of mine....

You are looking on top of the left valve cover.....the top of the pic is the front of the car...the 2 bolts attach to the head and one (hidden from view) attaches to the Alt.

This shows the front with the adjustment arm.......with this set-up, the Alt. comes nowhere near the headers........

Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

C3 Stroker,

That bracket requires bolt holes on the front of the head. Early heads had no such holes, which is why the bolts for the headers are also used.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
oldchev
Instructor

Gotcha Guys. My heads have the bolt holes so the one from Stroker should work as well.
Todalin, Where can you buy that "Header Power Bracket" ? And what year C-3 do you have? Would it have the same profile hood as my original 1970 Hood ? Dave.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:48 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Header Power Brackets are available on-line and if you search for Header Power Bracket, it should come up. (I would do a link, but that's a no no and would probably get this pulled.)

I developed these on my '64 Corvette because I was dissatisfied with the Chinese garbage and that's what is shown in the picture. I think that the C3s have even a bit more room.

Last edited by toddalin; 05-20-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Mounting

Quick Reply: Alternator Mounting