C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and stock cut outs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Headers and stock cut outs?

My 77 has 2 cut outs in the cross member for the dual exhaust to pass through. My vette has an L48 and a 4spd in it. If I install Hooker 2456HKR Long Tube headers on the motor do the header flanges line up with the holes in the crossmember? Corvette Central and Allens sell complete exhaust systems for my car (their systems have the mating header flanges on the leading edge of the system) but I can't seem to get an answer if their systems will bolt up to the headers or do I need custom pipes made to connect them. I am trying to avoid anything custom because I can't get the car to the shop without having it flat bedded to and from.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

You're going to need a custom piece of pipe on each side to get from your collectors back to the area where the pipes pass thru the crossmember. I bought a cheap pair of header mufflers and bolted them to my headers to drive to the exhaust shop with my 77.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

The headers do not line up w/holes . I drove mine w/just the long tube headers to the exhaust shop. Sounded cool blowing down the highway. Not so cool at the stop lights.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gjohnson
The headers do not line up w/holes . I drove mine w/just the long tube headers to the exhaust shop. Sounded cool blowing down the highway. Not so cool at the stop lights.
LOL! Yep. Thats what I would do.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If you really want to Bubba-ize, assemble everything and use flex pipe to bridge the gaps

Then go to the muff shop

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and stock cut outs?

Quick Reply: Headers and stock cut outs?