C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New alternator not charging battery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:22 PM
rkrupa05
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New alternator not charging battery.

I just replaced all of the power steering system in my '79. I took the alternator off to get the PS pump out and rebuild it. When I out everything back together, I had nothing reading on the dash voltmeter. I put my voltmeter on the battery and only had 12 volts. I metered the alternator with the same reading. New alternator put on, same thing.

I checked the fuse for continuity- good.
Took the GEN light bulb out and it tested good. It does not come on with the key on and engine not running or at all.

The battery is still not charging. So I jumped the brown wire to the small post on the alternator. Battery posts show 14+ volts.

I'm beyond frustrated and don't know what to check next! HELP!!!!
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Rookie here.......it sounds like the alternator itself is good.....but it is not getting the proper connection through the "light bulb wire" to excite the alternator.

When you jumped the brown wire to the post it provided the voltage that the alternator needed.

Troubleshoot the light-bulb wire all the way to the alternator connector.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:30 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That small brown wire has been known to break internally- it looks good, but the conductor inside is broken. BE a place to start-

(Did the 79 have an electric choke? I know the later ones that did have the choke heater fuse would blow and no power to the brown wire)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rkrupa05
I just replaced all of the power steering system in my '79. I took the alternator off to get the PS pump out and rebuild it. When I out everything back together, I had nothing reading on the dash voltmeter. I put my voltmeter on the battery and only had 12 volts. I metered the alternator with the same reading. New alternator put on, same thing.

I checked the fuse for continuity- good.
Took the GEN light bulb out and it tested good. It does not come on with the key on and engine not running or at all.

The battery is still not charging. So I jumped the brown wire to the small post on the alternator. Battery posts show 14+ volts.

I'm beyond frustrated and don't know what to check next! HELP!!!!

When you turn your ignition switch ON the rear bearing of the alternator will become highly magnetized (check it with a wrench or screwdriver). If it isn't then the small single-strand wire that plugs into the side of your alternator is likely broken and every auto parts store stocks those plugin wires with leads about 8" long for about $5.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
When you turn your ignition switch ON the rear bearing of the alternator will become highly magnetized (check it with a wrench or screwdriver). If it isn't then the small single-strand wire that plugs into the side of your alternator is likely broken and every auto parts store stocks those plugin wires with leads about 8" long for about $5.
make sure to run it switched, not full time battery
Old 07-18-2015, 09:32 PM
rkrupa05
4th Gear

Thanks for the input everyone! I will definitely check the heater/ choke fuse and move on to wiring if need be. I thought about ringing out the brown wire (if I can find it under the dash). They definitely didn't make these cars for anyone tall to work on!

The funny thing I can't figure out is, when I jumped the small post to the brown wire on the alternator, I got 14+ volts to the battery. But the voltmeter in the dash still read 0. Could it have anything to do with my problem?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 PM
rkrupa05
4th Gear

Default Update!

I put a new plug on the alternator. Spliced it in with some good dielectric grease and shrink tube. Threw my voltmeter on the battery and have 14+ volts! The odd part is, I rang the plug out and had continuity. the wire must have been broken?

Voltmeter gauge is still reading 0. I'll take it out this week some evening and see if maybe I have a wire off. It has a new circuit as of last year. Thanks again for everyone's help! This is by far the most active forum website on the net!

Get notified of new replies

To New alternator not charging battery.

Quick Reply: New alternator not charging battery.