C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear gear lube

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear gear lube

hoping someone can identify this gear lube, it is orange in color and clings really well, I cannot find the person who built the rear end to ask what it was.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 01:48 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

This?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

don't think that is compatible with limited slip differentials
Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This axle does not look like a Corvette stub axle. What are you dealing with...even though the gear oil seems to ahve been found in the second post.

DUB
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Default lube

thank you for the ID, and Hi Dub! yes this is out of a Dana rear from another car, I just put a new cover on my corvette rear and this lube looked pretty neat, the dana is a posi-- could they have added a additive to it for the posi?
Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I wonder if shockproof diluted with some other type would turn orange.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks exactly like the Shockproof Heavy that I use in my Harley!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1973
thank you for the ID, and Hi Dub! yes this is out of a Dana rear from another car, I just put a new cover on my corvette rear and this lube looked pretty neat, the dana is a posi-- could they have added a additive to it for the posi?
When it comes to adding differential oil and additive to Corvette rear differentials....I DO NOT try to 're-invent the wheel'.

WHY??? Because I do this for a living...and I have to warranty my work and this includes my decision on what I use during my repairs. I am NOT a DIY'er ( which is not a cut down )....so...if a catastrophic failure problem...or a longevity issue occurred due to me changing what I know works...it costs me major money and damage to my reputation....which is not so easily repaired. I know many advancements in oil and using AMSOIL in my shop...I still can not use anything buy GM products in a differential. I have been told by my AMSOIL guy I deal with that their stuff would work fine....but...I can not do it....because if something went wrong...I would kick myself in the backside for changing.

DUB
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
When it comes to adding differential oil and additive to Corvette rear differentials....I DO NOT try to 're-invent the wheel'.

WHY??? Because I do this for a living...and I have to warranty my work and this includes my decision on what I use during my repairs. I am NOT a DIY'er ( which is not a cut down )....so...if a catastrophic failure problem...or a longevity issue occurred due to me changing what I know works...it costs me major money and damage to my reputation....which is not so easily repaired. I know many advancements in oil and using AMSOIL in my shop...I still can not use anything buy GM products in a differential. I have been told by my AMSOIL guy I deal with that their stuff would work fine....but...I can not do it....because if something went wrong...I would kick myself in the backside for changing.

DUB
ok I am not ruling out just using normal gear lube, I just thought this stuff was amazing as it clung to that axle shaft as you see it, that was sitting there over a week and that lube never made it down to the bearings! so DUB what do you recommend? weight and brand type?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

ok I am not ruling out just using normal gear lube, I just thought this stuff was amazing as it clung to that axle shaft as you see it, that was sitting there over a week and that lube never made it down to the bearings! so DUB what do you recommend? weight and brand type?
I agree with you..and if my previous comment came across all prissy and such. I did not mean for it to do that.

YEAH...I would also be amazed if it has still clung on and not run off the axle. It would make me 'wonder' also....and it actually is. Hmmmm...very interesting.

But...due to liability/warranty issues for me...I mainly use GM anti-slip additive and GM gear oil. It is easy for me to get and is not that much $$$. So I use what GM sells so if a problem ever occurred...I would not have to explain WHY I did not use GM oil to the customer who would ask and possibly use that as a reason for the failure. Keep in mind...in 30 years...I have dealt with about every type of person and attitude that you can imagine.

Now on some differentials where my relationship with the owner is very good and not all about...'pointing fingers'....I will use Valvoline 80w-90...BUT I still use the anti-slip additive from GM ALL the time where it is required. But..generally I use the GM products because I get them by the case....so it is on hand.

DUB
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Moose 02 FB
Advanced

it definitely looks like red line heavy duty shockproof I also use it in my harley trans and it sticks to all the gears.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Instructor

ok thank you DUB, I also listened to you on all my weatherstips and used what you told me, body is not quite done yet but frame is close! by the way do you have the part number for the GM additive?
also I will check into that red line- does that need a additive also? (thank you Moose)
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1973; 08-10-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add in something
Old 08-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Moose 02 FB
Advanced

now matter what you use you will need some type of posi additive unless you find something that has it already added
Old 08-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think that's Redline Shock Proof and I have 2 gallons of Redline in my garage right now. I think it is a lube with Lucas oil additive added into it. Lucas additive makes gear oil cling to parts. Moroso also sells a "climbing lube" for differentials.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
..... Moroso also sells a "climbing lube" for differentials.
That stuff crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure of it's color.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:09 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

As the pinion is submerged in oil it doesn't make any difference whether it "clings" or not.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

by the way do you have the part number for the GM additive?
A local GM dealer should have that no problem. I think the part number is 88900330

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
As the pinion is submerged in oil it doesn't make any difference whether it "clings" or not.
GOOD POINT.

I KNOW it is a BIG STRETCH ...but I get differentials that come in from time to time where the car sat so long and was NEVER MOVED...that when I take to cover off...half of the ring gear and carrier are covered in rust.....and the other half that was in the gear oil...is perfect as can be.

Like I wrote...it is a stretch...but I kinda like how it clings.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To rear gear lube

Quick Reply: rear gear lube