C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chains; Link Belt, Single Roller, Double Roller, True Roller, Belt, Or Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Timing Chains; Link Belt, Single Roller, Double Roller, True Roller, Belt, Or Gear?

Now days we have numerous methods of driving a camshaft so which method is the best? The OEM "Link Belt" style is extremely strong but wears (stretches) faster than the other styles. The most common aftermarket style is the #35 double wide "non-roller" chain that are not really "roller chains" but rather round solid pins that look like rollers (hence the non-roller designation). True Roller and Cloyes makes true double wide #35 roller chains but as they have more parts (and more wear points) they seem to have shorter life spans than the cheaper double wide non-roller chains. Then we have the single-wide #50 roller chains that uses a much larger round pin and they can also have non-roller or true roller pins. Then we have the "timing belt" style and the "gear drive" style. So which one is the best for you?

I have always used the cheaper double wide non-roller chains because of their low cost and reliability and the fact I seldom beat on my engines but other people have their preferences.

What is your preference and why?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:26 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Like most items of the sbc there are so many options it makes your head spin. I dont think there major gains in using the heavier duty timing sets. There are plenty of super stock racers using the stock timing sets. I will say the larger the cam and the greater lift the more vlv spring press needed and then the stronger timing sets can really help.

Myself ive always want to run a gear drive but all the vendor gear drives for street motors are 3 or 4 gear sets to keep the original cam rotation - which adds to timing loses. NASCAR used (uses) a 2 gear set with a reverse rotation cam. This was back in Smokey Y. days and it really was the ticket back then as it killed the timing scatter and timing lags of using a chain drive.

But now i read they have both "wet" and "dry" belted systems that interest me. They advertise greater accuracy, kill vlv train harmonics and give long life. Comp has one in the $600 range. Dont know how long either would last on a DD but im sure we will see them become popular if they do what they say they do.

What im saying here if u need trick parts for a big cam and hi-press vlv springs then maybe a double roller can help. But for a mostly street car u really just want a good quality set but nothing fancy should be needed.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:37 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Best is Belt Drive. The Hyvo (Spelling) chain the Roush developed is considered the best when it comes to chain and gear sets.

I have sold the Rollmaster with with Iwis chain now since 1997. The chain is pre-stretched in assemblies. Most chain is pre-stretched in runs.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by StraubTech
I have sold the Rollmaster with with Iwis chain now since 1997.
Good to know.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The stock OE timing set sold all over the U.S is all that's necessary.....
footnote, ...the performance engines use the OE style including L-88`s
Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

A nice double roller is your best bet in 95% of applications. If you're gonna spin he crap out of it, have huge amount of valve spring pressure or plan on doing alot of cam timing adjustments you might want to look into something else but for a street/mild strip car a double roller will serve you well.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
The stock OE timing set sold all over the U.S is all that's necessary.....
footnote, ...the performance engines use the OE style including L-88`s
Sorry Wally. Those POS nylon coated 454 sprockets are trash. I have changed a bucket of those over the years that have jumped time.

Remember this? (blast from the past):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-chains.html

Last edited by Big2Bird; 08-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/dug, steel sprockets and a stock GM oughta do the job on most apps unless youre using a real stiff spring (solid roller) and some rpm
Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 AM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StraubTech

I have sold the Rollmaster with with Iwis chain now since 1997. The chain is pre-stretched in assemblies. Most chain is pre-stretched in runs.
Perfect. I am gearing up for a cam and head change. I like stumbling across good info.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing Chains; Link Belt, Single Roller, Double Roller, True Roller, Belt, Or Gear?

Quick Reply: Timing Chains; Link Belt, Single Roller, Double Roller, True Roller, Belt, Or Gear?